Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can a Hospital Legally Starve You?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM
  • 412 Replies
2 moms liked this

*Edit:
This got way more attention than I was expecting. After some research, most of the websites I found say "Researchers followed 2,426 women with a low risk of obstetric complications through delivery and found that those who ate lightly during labor and those who only had water had similar lengths of labor and rate of C-section deliveries. The women who ate were no more likely to vomit than women who did not. 'Since the evidence shows no benefit or harms, there is no justification for [prohibiting eating and drinking] during labor'" http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100120/eating-drinking-may-be-ok-during-labor 

Can a hospital really deny you food if you are in labor? What if you bring in your own food?

With my first pregnancy I went into L&D at 8 a.m. and didn't actually give birth until after 1 a.m. The hospital kitchen didn't open up until 7 a.m. So I went nearly 24 hours with nothing to eat ...
When I asked about lunch or dinner they told me there was no use in eating because I'd throw it up anyway
But I was starving and didn't feel nauseous!

I think that is what made my labor experience so hard on me. I was 18, scared to "talk back" to the "professionals", and weak from not being able to eat anything.
How could they expect me to push and Push and PUSH without any energy?

I do not want to repeat that! Can they take my food away if I have someone bring in my own?

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM
23 moms liked this

They could deny it, it happens for a lot of moms.    They are told not to eat and that worsens their experience as they get fatigued while their body especially needs fuel.

So if we vomit we do...    But many sneak food in.    

Best bet is to not hire a care provider/facility that has rules for their own convenience that aren't safest for women overall.
And if you end up hiring them then consider having a doula/advocate to help with this. 

You should eat in labor (IF you feel like it) !

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM
6 moms liked this

My insurance requires me to have a provider that is 30 miles or less from where I live, so there is only one place I can deliver at according to them. The only hospital I would be comfortable delivering at is 50 miles away but they only let me go there once and that was by referral to a cardiologist only.

I wonder what would happen if I was "visiting family" 50 miles away and that is where I "happened" to go into labor ...  

Quoting doulala:

They could deny it, it happens for a lot of moms.    They are told not to eat and that worsens their experience as they get fatigued while their body especially needs fuel.

So if we vomit we do...    But many sneak food in.    

Best bet is to not hire a care provider/facility that has rules for their own convenience that aren't safest for women overall.And if you end up hiring them then consider having a doula/advocate to help with this. 

kmeow
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM
21 moms liked this

I guess the reasoning is that you can't have a full stomach if you need anethesia for an emergency C-Section.

If you discuss if with your medical provider beforehand, you should be able to sign an against medical advice waiver saying that you are willfully going against their advice and can't sue them should complications arise in the event of something like an emergency c-section. They certainly couldn't force food away from you, but have to follow their own policies until you sign a waiver.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM
7 moms liked this

I definitely know of women that stay with friends-family or even get a motel room to early labor in so they are "homebirthing (-laboring)" until their labor is intense and farther along, and then they go in.    This plan helps them to avoid unnecessary interventions/risks.

It's not a bad idea!   ;-)

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM
5 moms liked this

I would just bring in my own snacks.... but i ate during my labor with ym daughter at home and I did not puke. The only time i've puked during labor is when it was a forced labor with pitocin.

cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:34 PM
9 moms liked this
Yes they can you won't die
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM
5 moms liked this

You won't starve in a few hours. 

Check the release forms that you sign, they may be able to have that kind of control if you do sign it. But they can refuse treatment if you don't sign it.

In the case of an emergency c-section they wont' be able to give you the anesthesia for surgery if you have food in your stomach.

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM
4 moms liked this

If that is their reason for not letting me eat, then they clearly want to have their cake and eat it too.
I begged for a c-section because of a heart condition I have and they keep telling me "Oh, you'll be just fine ..." They shouldn't get to have it both ways.

Sadistic bastards just want to be mean to poor pregnant women because they know they aren't going to leave the hospital no matter what goes down ...

Quoting kmeow:

I guess the reasoning is that you can't have a full stomach if you need anethesia for an emergency C-Section.

If you discuss if with your medical provider beforehand, you should be able to sign an against medical advice waiver saying that you are willfully going against their advice and can't sue them should complications arise in the event of something like an emergency c-section. They certainly couldn't force food away from you, but have to follow their own policies until you sign a waiver.

JaeKristine
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM
6 moms liked this
They can deny you but its your body your life the night I went into labor I ate a whole combo from whataburger at 2am 2:30am I went into labor at 9:31am I had my baby. Eating caused me no problems at all I didnt throw up nor poop myself.
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM
11 moms liked this

Honestly, they do surgeries on people in emergency situatiosn every day with food in their stomach. This is not as big of a risk as they make it out to be, especially if most of your calories are in the form of liquids, such as ensures.

Which are great during labor. ;)

Quoting smorgan865:

You won't starve in a few hours. 

Check the release forms that you sign, they may be able to have that kind of control if you do sign it. But they can refuse treatment if you don't sign it.

In the case of an emergency c-section they wont' be able to give you the anesthesia for surgery if you have food in your stomach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)