Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Bad advice?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM
  • 42 Replies
What is the worst advice you've been given during pregnancy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorriganzMommy
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Not during pregnancy but the worst parenting advice I got was from my Inlaws who said that I didn't need to BF or give formula, that cows milks is fine to give my infant DD. When I said no, not for a year. When they had her alone they gave it to her anyways. Ended up with intestinal bleeding and a fever from the body rejecting the cows milk. She was in terrible pain and having diarreha every 20 mins. Doctor said it was the cows milk but Inlaws denied it. FIL said my DH was on it since 3 montsh but when I talked to my MIL (divorced) she said that she switched from BFing to FFing at 3 months not cows milk. I don't know what SMIL's excuse was, she had 3 kids and should of known better.

Pagan_Mommy84
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Over the counter meds are fine to take while pregnant.  THANKFULLY, I still asked my OB before taking anything at all, because not all over the counter meds are ok to take for different reasons.  It's ALWAYS good to talk to your OB about that because even doing research on the internet, a lot of sites are outdated and new research has come out saying otherwise since those sites were made, and some people tell based on their doc's word, and doc's have been wrong ... so I listen to mine and mine alone

Pregnancy Ticker
doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

SO many things people say, what to choose, lol!    ;-P     
like (from relatives):  Birth in the hospital in case my baby turns breech.     
and (from strangers):  If your water broke already you should get to the hospital and have the baby- quick!     

I have good care providers and we work together, it's not like I don't know what I'm doing or hadn't thought through.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM
That's horrible!!

Quoting MorriganzMommy:

Not during pregnancy but the worst parenting advice I got was from my Inlaws who said that I didn't need to BF or give formula, that cows milks is fine to give my infant DD. When I said no, not for a year. When they had her alone they gave it to her anyways. Ended up with intestinal bleeding and a fever from the body rejecting the cows milk. She was in terrible pain and having diarreha every 20 mins. Doctor said it was the cows milk but Inlaws denied it. FIL said my DH was on it since 3 montsh but when I talked to my MIL (divorced) she said that she switched from BFing to FFing at 3 months not cows milk. I don't know what SMIL's excuse was, she had 3 kids and should of known better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM
People are crazy!

Quoting doulala:

SO many things people say, what to choose, lol!    ;-P     like (from relatives):  Birth in the hospital in case my baby turns breech.     and (from strangers):  If your water broke already you should get to the hospital and have the baby- quick!     

I have good care providers and we work together, it's not like I don't know what I'm doing or hadn't thought through.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Not to go all-natural with birthing...I'll do what works for my body and baby

lovebugs_mom906
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
"A glass of wine here and there won't hurt anything". Sorry, not going to listen to that one.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I agree!

People give me grief about this too

Quoting meam4444:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM
I wouldn't either

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: "A glass of wine here and there won't hurt anything". Sorry, not going to listen to that one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Quoting kmqw229: I agree! People give me grief about this too
Quoting meam4444:

Exactly--not like they are the ones birthing the baby anyhow!  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)