Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Circumcision without a hospital birth??

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

My plan has always been to give birth at my birthing center with midwives. Well we just found out we're having a boy and it hit me that I have no idea how we'd get a circumcision done now. This is our first, so neither one of us is familiar with how this would work.

Any ideas? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Super easy

Don't get it done
SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Hm, except this is what my husband and I have already decided on. Thank you for your bump. 

Quoting comptonkids: Super easy Don't get it done

staci1103
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask the birthing center what they recommend.  

m0mmy0ftw02012
by Tiffany on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM

have you asked your midwife where you can go? maybe you will have to go to the hospital and get it down.

SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM

My last appt was this past Friday and my next one isn't for another month =/ We were so wrapped up in finding out the gender we forgot to ask about that

Quoting staci1103:

Ask the birthing center what they recommend.  

SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

My last appt was this past Friday and my next one isn't for another month =/ We were so wrapped up in finding out the gender we forgot to ask about that. Do you mean go to the hospital afterwards? 

Quoting m0mmy0ftw02012:

have you asked your midwife where you can go? maybe you will have to go to the hospital and get it down.

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

A pediatrician can do it.

I would recommend waiting until the baby is at least a month old if you do it on the outside to make sure there's no complications or health issues.

Keep in mind, there are risks associated with it - including infant death and a baby who's a couple weeks old, is less likely to have these complications (so it helps.)

Most midwives will probably recommend against it, but most pediatrician offices will know where you can get it done outside of a hospital setting if you choose not to give birth in a hospital.

Make sure they use topical anasthetic and are experienced though - they do run the risk of removing too much foreskin or causing injury to penis requiring surgery later to fix it.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I know it can be done in the pediatrician office.  At least, they offered it to us.  I know though after a certain time frame, they like to wait until the child is over a year though (this is just what I was told...never asked why though).  Hope you're able to get it figured out.

m0mmy0ftw02012
by Tiffany on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM

yes, but i think you can call the ped. to see if they can do it after the baby is born. Or you can call and ask your midwife. Good luck

Quoting SecondChance709:

My last appt was this past Friday and my next one isn't for another month =/ We were so wrapped up in finding out the gender we forgot to ask about that. Do you mean go to the hospital afterwards? 

Quoting m0mmy0ftw02012:

ColieO
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My son's pediatrician did it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)