Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advise on baby weight for a newborn

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 44 Replies
Do you consider 6 pounds to be an okay weight for a new born my doctor is inducing me in 2 weeks due to preclampsia and my baby will be around 6 pounds I'm just nervous and don't know if that's an okay weight or not should I let the doctor induce me or tell him I want to wait 2more weeks to let the baby get bigger?
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dreamarrow
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM
The weight they give you is just an estimate I've heard they can be off by 1/2 to a lb either way. How far along are you?
Loveavision
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Do you really want to risk your pre-eclampsia getting any worse? Baby will be okay, just need to get them out of their for both your sakes!
Baileybaby09
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I'm 35 weeks and he wants me induced at 37 weeks
dreamarrow
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
When I had my twins they were just over 5 lbs each and they did very good.
Baileybaby09
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Is there a test they can do to see if her lungs will be ready ?
dreamarrow
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM
By the time you get to 37 weeks the baby will be even bigger. I wouldn't worry about the size that's considered full term by most doctors.

Quoting Baileybaby09: I'm 35 weeks and he wants me induced at 37 weeks
dreamarrow
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I don't know but I honestly wouldn't worry. I know 37 weeks sounds early but most babies do very well at that stage. I delivered at 36 weeks and my boys didn't have any issues other then temperature regulation.

Quoting Baileybaby09: Is there a test they can do to see if her lungs will be ready ?
ckapps4911
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM

6lbs is an ok weight....my brothers friend had a baby not to long ago and he was 6lbs 4oz and just fine :)

but one of the pp's was right....they can be off....sometimes by A LOT. when i was pregnant they guessed my sons weight at low 7lbs. and when they induced me (he was born at 40+2w) no one guessed his weight at over 7lbs 8oz (that was the drs guess) and he was born at 8lbs 8oz so the dr was off by a whole pound. my sister just had her son a few months ago and she was induced for severe pre e and liver failure and he was born at just over 36 weeks and he was over 7lbs. so the weight can be off.

but dont forget there are full term babies out there being born in the high 5lb to 6lb area all the time. its not the weight that matters...its wether the lungs are mature and at 37 weeks the will be so it will be fine

LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't put too much thought in to the weight because when I had my twins, one was only 4.12 lbs and perfectly healthy.
torttia
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:23 PM
My oldest was 6lbs 14oz and very healthy. He managed to gain 20lbs by the time he was 5 months. Haha. No need to stress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)