baby bump and baby shoesAs if pregnant womenweren't already inundated with advice to "not do this" and "definitely do that!" Now a study suggests thatwomen who gain more or less weight than recommended during pregnancy end up giving birth to kids with anincreased risk of childhoodobesityPregnancy weight gain recommendationsfrom the Institute of Medicine (IOM) suggest that, depending on your BMI, you should gain anywhere from 11-20 (if you're technically "obese") to 28-40 pounds (if you're "underweight"). Women who are "normal" weight should gain 25-35, while women who are "overweight" 15-25. (Recommendations differ if you're carrying twins.)

But how many moms-to-be actually gain the perfect number of pounds during pregnancy?

While it's far from scientific, we had to wonder what moms have noticed themselves about their pregnancy weight gain (or lack thereof) affecting their child's weight. Here's what they shared ... 

1. "I gained 12 pounds with my first and 15 pounds with my second. It was good for me to gain so little because I was overweight. I don't think it affected my children in any way. Both are healthy weights. The oldest is even almost too thin."

2. "I gained exactly 30 pounds with my first child. .... My 5-year-old has always been small. He eats and eats and eats and has been a skinny fella all his life. Some of it is genetic as my family is petite overall."

3. "I gained 25 with each of my four kids. The first one, the doctor wanted me to gain more, but I walked a lot and worked until the day before I delivered. All my kids are adults (19, 20, 23, and 32) and all are normal weight and have never been overweight. All are very active, as I am."

4. "I gained 58 pounds with my twins. According to my doc and past research, I only should have gained 35. Oh well. I was hungry, so I ate! ... My doctor would comment on it in the beginning, telling me to watch my weight, but he eventually gave up. As far as how much my girls weigh now, I think genetics and the fact that one is a picky eater have more to do with [their weight] than how much I gained in my pregnancy."

5. "I gained 70 pounds with my first. I ate a lot because I had severe depression. My daughter is a very chubby 6-year-old now. Hoping she slims down over summer. ... I gained 35 pounds with my son who was born in October. [That was a] healthier pregnancy, [and he's a] healthy, 17-pound 6-month-old. My docs never commented on my weight either time."

6. "I gained 37 pounds. My [daughter] was on the smaller side throughout my pregnancy. My doc even told me to go get ice cream at one point! I don't think it affected my [daughter]. She was born healthy and she's still a very healthy and active kiddo!"

7. "I gained 80 with my son, and 70 of those pounds came in the last five months of pregnancy. I had preeclampsia and made some poor choices (eating out too much), but a lot of the gain was water. My son will be 2 next week and is very healthy, 28 pounds, active, incredibly smart."

8. "I gained close to 50 pounds with each of my four pregnancies. None of my doctors ever brought it up as an issue. I lost the extra weight after each pregnancy, and I have four healthy children."

How do you think your weight gain affected your child's weight?

Image via meaganjean/Flickr