Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do I have unrealistic expectations of my nurse? Ugh Vent.

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 6:48 AM
  • 31 Replies

My day nurses were pretty good, my evening/night nurse... well I puked, asked her to clean it up she threw some towels over it and left it there, after it sitting there for like 12 hours with a towel laying over the puke, I finally asked her ot have a janitor or someone come clean it up.. (an hour ago?) and it's still here.

I had to beg for her repeatedly to remove the catheter so I could get up, that I had full use of my legs back and they said as soon as I did, I could pee on my own... and I WANTED to pee on my own and I had to fight about that too.

I've asked her repeatedly about how to move with a c-section to reduce pain and her answers have been very not helpful or say much.

She told me she had to leave in the second, unused IV because the lab people would use it in the morning to draw blood. I thought that was weird, but said fine, i'd leave it in until the lab people came. (which I DID) but guess what, they said they never draw blood from iv's that have just been sitting there for a few hours, it contaminates the fresh blood sample.... my skin was peeling off and itching from the reaction to the tape, and I finally just told her, you have 20 minutes to get it out or i'm removing it myself.

She finally came back in to take it out and said "As long as your fine being repoked for a new iv if you need one." well duh that's obviously preferable to me then having my skin peel off from the tape on an unused IV.

My throw up is still on the floor......

They don't have a lactation consultant here - ever, and I tried to talk to the nursery staff here to talk about how to get my milk to come in faster with such an early gestation + csection and all they said is pump every 2 hours... well I got 2oz the first time I pumped and barely anything (and I mean not even a drop makes it through the pump valve) and yes, i googled how to pump for preemies when they couldn't answer my questions and have been pumping by hand, massaging the breasts AND using an electric pump just for extra stimulation after.

I spent an hour pumping everytime I pump - these babies getting milk is my #1 priority and I feel very alone and unprepared for this since no one here knows anything about this. Or what's even normal for a 24 week gestation and breastmilk after a c-section.

I haven't eaten in two days and i'm fking hungry. I finally turned into a bitch on her and told her that with my food allergies I need a menu and she can't just tell them to get me a piece of bacon and a slice of cantaloupe... Obviously if I had a menu i'd be able to order something I could eat, if I knew what they even HAD - she offered me repeatedly wheat cereal, toast, and other things i'm allergic too and I keep trying to explain to her I can't eat those foods, so she's just let me go hungry.

I finally had to make it clear I wanted to talk to whoever was around who was in charge who'd get me a damn menu or list from the cafeteria so I could order breakfast in a couple hours an dmake sure I could actually EAT it.

I was trying to be patient and nice, but I finally told her if I don't get some food of substance in me, i'm going to get really bitchy and the fastest way to make me throw a very unhappy tantrum is starve me when I need some real food.

I get food allergies aren't the easiest to deal with, but come on now, it's not hard to get me a freaking menu or find someone who can tell me what they have. Everything she'd list me off in the kitchen is stuff I can't eat... and no matter how many times I told her that and she knew my food allergies.....

Let's just say she goes off shift in an hour and while she hasn't been mean or hostile, she definitely has ignored me and not done anything to help me with simple things....

The throw up is still on my floor.

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 6:53 AM
She is clearly in the wrong profession I would ask for a different nurse.
rwcw89
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM
I would be bitching how do they expect u to produce milk without food?!. I ended up requesting breakfast because the hospital didn't give me a menu and were just gunna give me whatever (eggs and grapefruit ... Two things I do not eat) aside from that and the constant telling me what to do with my kid, I liked my staff. I'm sorry your havig a hard time . I feel ur pain with the csection. I was sooo swollen I couldn't bend my legs, and
Short as it is 5ft. I could barely get in and out of bed without being in pain! And there was no way to lower it further... I mentioned it to my nurse, u think she's get me a step stool? Ha, next one I'm bringing my own. That and no one offered me a pump when my kid was having latch problems (turned out I have flat nipples) and she went 12 hours no eating...(refused to latch or drink formula)
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 7:21 AM
I'm a nurse and the way she acted is horrible!!! Ask for the day shift charge nurse and request to NOT have that chick back.
booaura
by Aurabella on Apr. 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM
I'm a nurse. She acted very unprofessionally. I would have asked for another nurse. Floors get busy, everyone has a life that can cause problems, but that doesn't excuse her poor treatment of you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treysmom9706
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM
I Had a pretty crappy nurse with my dd. I requested she not come back around me or be allowed around dd. Motrin worked better than anything for me for pain with mu c-section. And once your up to it a shower will be amazing for you. You definitely need food in you. I hope the day shift is much better.
LuvMyBoys09
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Oh muh goodness!! You're being a hell of a lot nicer than I'd be in that situation!
Good Lord, because you haven't been through enough but to now have to put up with the things you're having to put up with....I'm angry FOR you.

I'm so sorry mama. *hugs*
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM

For breakfast? my nurse ordered me 3 pieces of bacon..... because of all my food allergies, instead of getting me a full list of what's in the kitchen so I can custom order, or sending someone FROM the kitchen to come talk about meals, I just got 3, nasty, cold pieces of bacon.

Awesome. O.o  Thank god my husband brought me in a protien bar, because there's nothing I can eat on their lunch or dinner menu unless they let me special order something.

Quoting rwcw89: I would be bitching how do they expect u to produce milk without food?!. I ended up requesting breakfast because the hospital didn't give me a menu and were just gunna give me whatever (eggs and grapefruit ... Two things I do not eat) aside from that and the constant telling me what to do with my kid, I liked my staff. I'm sorry your havig a hard time . I feel ur pain with the csection. I was sooo swollen I couldn't bend my legs, and Short as it is 5ft. I could barely get in and out of bed without being in pain! And there was no way to lower it further... I mentioned it to my nurse, u think she's get me a step stool? Ha, next one I'm bringing my own. That and no one offered me a pump when my kid was having latch problems (turned out I have flat nipples) and she went 12 hours no eating...(refused to latch or drink formula)

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Id demand her supervisor asap.

Ive had 2 csections. Just take your time, slide to the edge of your bed or chair before standing. Hot shower or heating pad will help because your going to overuse your back muscles to make up for the csection. Take stool softeners and gas pills, they really help. Listen to your body, i never went by thwir guides but my bodies. Pat dry ur csection area or dry with a fan or blow dryer. Dont be afraid to ask for help.

Have somebody bring you food. You wont produce milk if your not eating and drinking. Your body will use what it needs prior to making milk. There are teas, foods, herbs, that help with milk production, then of course frequent pumping even if you dont get much.

Id file a complaint with the hospital as well as her boss and anybody else I could find.

Good luck, congrats on the babies.

tiffsgrandma
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I had no problems with baby 2 and 3, but one!!! OMG Had her in a miitary hospital, Had her at 10:20 PM, got into my bed at 4AM, at 7AM was expected to get out of bed, go to halways, get my meal from cart and clean sheets to make my bed!!! Are tyou F'n serious?? I told her I had just gotten into this bed and just had a baby, could barely move. Had stitch's as was torn up by baby, was in extreem pain.  Then the next day had to take baby to a class about bathing babies, etc.... I had been taking care of babies since I was 9, what a joke this was back in 1977...With my other two kids, had no problems, Hospital was great, except the little filipino nurse brought me wrong baby!!! lmao, Took one look and checked name and went, ummmm this isn't my baby, otherwise I had no problems with staff or treatment.

I would file a personal report as soon as possible about your treatment. Ask to see a Hospital Rep immediatly!!!!!

Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I'd be furious.  You need to talk to a supervisor.  Sorry, hun.  =(  As if you didn't have enough to deal with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN