Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pregnancy

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am TTC. one of my biggest worries is labor. i am terrified of needles. i know an epidural helps alot. just wondering how painful you all ladies labor was .

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2babys2love
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Well when I became pregnant the first time it was unplanned...unexpected.... and I was young (16 going on 17)

I am scared of anything that has to do with a hospital! medicine scares me the most because I have this HUGE fear of an allergic reaction. and needles being the 2nd scariest thing to me.

I went into labor at 38 weeks 4 days at 4pm and there was no pain. even though I was dilating and having regular contractions I didn't feel them...UNTIL.... about 3am that following morning. I was asleep and resting because everyone told me I would need it. the pain hit me like a ton of bricks and I came up out of that bed like I was dieing!!!! I was so scared to get the epi because of the needle and the fact that I have never had it before. after a shot of morphine I was able to deal with the pain until I was dilated at about a 7 and it was wearing off... the nurse asked if I wanted the epi or not because it would be my last chance to get it... I gave in and got it! I was in too much pain and I was scared... honestly...I don't even remember what it felt like having the needle in my back because the labor pain was so bad...

my advise to you is that when you are in true labor you will probably be in to much pain to care about a needle going in your back! it really wasn't that bad. but boy when that epi started to work I was good to go. 9:02 am I delivered my baby girl :)

good luck momma!
228mommy922
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM
You get used to needles during pregnancy. You have your blood drawn normally multiple times. And most of the time an I've during labor.

I had to be induced and started feeling my contractions almost immediately. I went 9 hours without pain meds and was only at a four it just got to be to much. So I got the epi and things started moving pretty fast from there a little less than three hours later I had my daughter. I didn't even feel the needle or the shot they give before
KiKi-Love
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Well the labor hurts way more than the epidural. For me epi was a huge relief , and an energy saver. Everybody reacts differently to an epidural, so keep that in mind.
wickedfunmom
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Mine wasn't bad at all.. I was lucky :)

srm8824
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It was painful but it was do-able by all means. I had a natural birth.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM

It doesn't have to be painful. I have only had one epidural with my second. I will say I wish I hadn't. Do your research on it. Yes, I know you need to do what is best for you. But make sure you are educated in all that comes with anything you put in your body.

But for me water is wonderful and finding way that work for you to relax. When I was in control they weren't that bad in my natural labors. When I did let it take over it hurt. But my hubby, midwife and Doula were able to get me relaxed before the contraction was over.

dianna985
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM
The needle will not hurt as much as the pain? The needle feeling is actually relief compared to the pain. A epidural starts working pretty fast.
Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I had long labors with all of mine and never had an epidural.  It can be done; research other methods of coping with pain. 

lilmomma27733
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM

well my experience with my son was different then most ladies, i was 23 and i had no idea what going into labour even felt like. well one night i said to my mom who was staying with us it feels like my stomach is going to fall out. when i got to the hospital the dr. checked me and i was already 5cm the most awakward part was when they broke my water it seemed to go forever. i apparently have a high tolerance for pain because the dr. said your having crazy contractions can you feel that?, i didn't feel much of anything. i have the epidural it didn't hurt that much it's kind of like when you give blood and get the rough nurse, its over with quick then just feels cold. i ended up having an emergency c-section and the recovery honestly sucked but my baby was beautiful:)

alkakfnxcpoem
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:50 AM
The epidural was more like a shock than a needle. They put a numbing injection in before so you don't feel the needle in your skin. The shock hurt kind of but it was more like I just couldn't help but flinch from it. Contractions hurt. You'll do fine. Honestly I obsessed with fear over labor and delivery my whole pregnancy and then it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN