Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

UTI? Safe to wait to be seen?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

I posted yesterday about how I was having some mild cramps, back pain and braxton hicks contractions. Well, they started getting worse so I decided to call my Dr. today. The nurse told me that I should not be having this kind of pain along with contractions at this point (I'm 17 weeks) and that she thinks it's a UTI. She told me that I have to come in first thing in the morning. This pain has been increasing since about Sunday. Is it safe to be waiting this long to be seen? What if I have a kidney infection? I have read that infection can cause preterm labor, which is making me nervous of course. Is this something that I should be super worried about, or is it safe to trust that it's not urgent since they are making me wait until the morning? Thank you! 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lillucky8
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

my guess would be they are weighing your options, option one is go to the ER where there are a bagillian more germs that you will be subjected to, as well as waiting hours to get some meds, option two is waiting until morning...personally as long as the pain isn't unbearable, i'd wait until morning rather than going to the er...ers are just not fun places to go, i would increase your fluids, cranberry juice is said to help but it has to be 100% juice, not the fake sugary business

lady_katie
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Thank you, that's very logical! The pain is bearable, and they told me I could put a little heat on my back if I had to. I will increase my fluids. Thanks again :) 

Quoting lillucky8:

my guess would be they are weighing your options, option one is go to the ER where there are a bagillian more germs that you will be subjected to, as well as waiting hours to get some meds, option two is waiting until morning...personally as long as the pain isn't unbearable, i'd wait until morning rather than going to the er...ers are just not fun places to go, i would increase your fluids, cranberry juice is said to help but it has to be 100% juice, not the fake sugary business

arielmarie4
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM
My UTI did turn into a kidney infection when I had one before I was pregnant. However, it took a few weeks for it to turn into a kidney infection. I think you are fine to wait to be seen by your doctor as long as (like said above) you can handle the pain.
lillucky8
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

heat packs are amazing! i lived with one literally 24/7 when i was pregnant with my son bc he was aggravating an old back injury, totally safe and amazing! :) good luck, i hope you feel better quickly!

Quoting lady_katie:

Thank you, that's very logical! The pain is bearable, and they told me I could put a little heat on my back if I had to. I will increase my fluids. Thanks again :) 

Quoting lillucky8:

lady_katie
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Thats good to know that it could take awhile. Thank you! 

Quoting arielmarie4: My UTI did turn into a kidney infection when I had one before I was pregnant. However, it took a few weeks for it to turn into a kidney infection. I think you are fine to wait to be seen by your doctor as long as (like said above) you can handle the pain.

lady_katie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM
So, I went to the Dr and there was blood in my urine, so they started me on UTI meds. I asked them to check my cervix, and it was fine. They also did a bacterial culture while they were down there just to be safe and it turns out that I also have a bacterial infection! No wonder I don't feel good! I started the UTI meds already and I'm leaving to pick up a cream for the infection soon, so I should be getting better soon!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN