Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Q&A Giveaway: Ask the Author of Hannah, Delivered and You Could WIN! - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 38 Replies

Cafemom is excited to welcome Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew, author of Hannah, Delivered! Hannah, Delivered tells the fictional story of Hannah, a receptionist who witnesses a birth in the hospital where she works. The birth starts her on a journey to New Mexico as a midwifery apprentice, where she learns to trust women's bodies. Her journey takes her back to Minnesota where she starts her own birth practice, one that isn't legal in Minnesota - home births. Hannah, Delivered tells the story of how inexplicable passion, buried strength, and professional skill deliver one woman from fear into a rich and risk-filled life. 

Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew is a writing instructor and spiritual director living in Minneapolis, MN. She is mom to one child, Gwyn. 

Do you want to challenge yourself and the way you give birth? Do you want to know why Elizabeth chose to write this book? Ask your questions here. Elizabeth will begin to answer your questions on May 5th. Five moms who ask a question will win a copy of Elizabeth's book, Hannah, Delivered!

The Giveaway Rules:

The Hannah, Delivered Giveaway starts 5/1/2014 at 9am (ET) and ends 5/9/2014 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. Five winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of Hannah Delivered.
The random drawing shall occur on or about 5/20/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on May. 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Cafe Jenn
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

congratulations      ....and the WINNERS are....   

kmqw229, secret_smiles85 , amy_dawn, HazelBug, MixedCooke

You have won a copy of the book Hannah, Delivered!

ElizabethJA
by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Hello, mothers and mothers-to-be!  I'm excited to talk with you this week, about mothering, birth, and my new novel, HANNAH, DELIVERED. Thanks for joining in the conversation!

HANNAH is a labor of love. I spent the last twelve years researching and writing this story--a long pregnancy. In the process I've met some fabulous midwives and doctors, I've interviewed dozens of women about their pregnancies, read some horrific history about birth and some frightening statistics, and had a blast creating Hannah and her world.  When I first started writing this novel, I'd really hoped to get pregnant soon.  Sure, I wanted a baby, but the experience would definitely be good research for the book.  As it turned out, my partner and I decided to adopt in an open adoption.  Gwyn was born naturally, in a hospital birth tub, and we got to watch.  Pretty fabulous.  The birth mom was a champion.  Not only that--because I had tinkered with my hormones and pumped like mad, I got to breastfeed her. 

Some of you have asked where I got the inspiration to write HANNAH, DELIVERED.  My sister is a homebirth midwife in New Mexico.  I think so highly of the work she does, and her fellow midwives have been role models for me.  I'm in awe of how deeply midwives trust women's bodies, and how present they have to be to life in all its complexity to do their work well.  Sometimes I wish I could be that wise and that present.  So I wrote a book about Hannah, who's a bit closed down to her dreams and true self, so I could follow her path into midwifery and that fullness of life.

Now that the novel is out, I feel a bit strange having public conversations about midwifery and birth when I'm not a midwife and I've never been pregnant.  But I've loved being steeped in the world of birth.  And I must say that watching my daughter emerge into that tub, going through the adoption process, and now being the mom of a gregarious, ginger-headed five-year-old, I certainly feel that vibrancy and presence I admired in my sisters' midwife friends.  I how I've become a mother and a novelist simultaneously.

Since some of you have asked similar questions, I'm going to cluster my replies.  Let's get this conversation going!

Cheers, Elizabeth

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 1, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Where did you get your inspiration for this story?

chamelinmom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

What made you want to write a book like this

JenniferLynn28
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Is it always best to have a midwife? I have one, but she's usually there around the end of my pregnancy and during labor. I find her very supportive and helpful.
AspensMama1537
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Was it hard to get published?
kcangel63
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Have you attended home births?
kcangel63
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM
What others books have you written?
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM
How do you feel about water birth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by on May. 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM

What did you want to be when you were a kid?

Heather2001
by Heather on May. 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Did you have a home birth with Gwyn?

funhappymom
by on May. 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

How long have you been writing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN