Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Doctors Can Accurately Predict Your Baby's Birth Weight With New Test

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM
  • 32 Replies

Doctors Can Accurately Predict Your Baby's Birth Weight With New Test

by Suzee Skwiot 

pregnant woman at doctorRaise your hand if you've been worried about yourbaby's birth weight and stressing over giving birth to a large baby? Well, you're definitely not alone, but new research from Michigan State University could help doctors better estimate the size of newborns so you can finally get all your birth weight questions answered.

After reviewing more than 7 million records of live births, and comparing the last menstrual cycle of the mother to the fetus' gestational age and the official final birth weight, the researchers were able to accurately determine better thresholds for birth weights. So what does that mean for moms?

These measurements will give doctors clearer guidelines to correctly predict a baby's final birth weight!

More from The StirMom Delivers Biggest Baby Hospital Has Seen in a Decade

That's great news, moms! With the new benchmarks, you'll now be able to more accurately know your future child's birth weight. And your doctor will be able to better understand the baby's development and make proper health care decisions. It could even potentially cut down on the number of C-sections because moms won't elect to opt out of a natural birth. 

We've heard plenty of stories of moms demanding a C-section when they're expecting a larger baby, only to find out that the little one was born weighing in at a nice 6 or so pounds. Fear not, though. With these new measurements, you'll have a clearer estimate of your little one's birth weight, and whether you can have that natural delivery.

Ultimately, this could also lead doctors to better prepare for health conditions that could result later in life. Babies with low birth sizes can run into several health risks later in life (high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease) while those with larger birth sizes can cause major complications during labor (tearing, blood loss, shoulder distortion). But having a clearer understanding and tracking of a baby's size can lead to better preparations for labor and even beyond! Yay, science!

How accurate was your baby's birth weight estimate?

Image via Daniel Lobo/Flickr

by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM
They said my DD was about 7 1/2 lbs. She came out 7lb2oz.
rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

with ods i was told 8lbs 5 oz MAX, i went into labor at 41 weeks (they were still saying 8.5 max) and he was 12lbs 2oz 24 in......yeah they were off. dd was supposed to be 9lbs, i went into labor at 39 weeks and she was 8lbs 10oz 21.5in. yds was supposed to be 10 lb, went into labor at 40 weeks and he was 11lbs 7oz 20.5in.

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

And this is exactly why we shouldn't be focused on baby's weight instead of HEALTH.  I think that weight estimates only encourage convenience births & provoke fear depending on which end of the scale you're sitting on.

They estimated my daughter at 5-6lbs maximum if she went full term, while I insisted she would be 7lbs 8oz.  She was born at 7lbs 8oz.

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

We've heard plenty of stories of moms demanding a C-section when they're expecting a larger baby, only to find out that the little one was born weighing in at a nice 6 or so pounds.

ladyvamp5489
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM

My 2 older ones were pretty much spot on, but my youngest was my GD baby and they guessed 10 lbs, 2 days later he was born via c-cection and he was 12 lbs 7 oz and 21 inches long.

JennyM87
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM
With my daughter they said she would be a big baby 9+lbs. when she was born at 40weeks she was 7.8lbs
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM

My home birthing midwife with my first. No ultrasounds and just by feel was right on with pounds. She said 6lbs something.

My second with a Dr. No feeling but going by ultrasound, possible GD(which I had no clue she put on there till I was at the hospital in labor) and size of my belly. They were way off. They said 9-10lb baby. She was 6lbs 3oz.

My third with a home birthing midwife and just by feel was right. She guessed 8, maybe 9lbs. Well my little one was 8lbs 14oz and we know she was more then then when first born. She peed on the midwife right after she come out and then pooped on me. Little stinker!

buckeyefever
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I was told my kid would be no bigger than seven. He was about an ounce and a half shy of nine. It ended in a cesarean

HazelBug
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM
I was told my baby would be small. He was over 8 pounds. I don't worry about baby size so much though. I have a good size pelvis and feel pretty confident in my body's ability to birth what it grows. I figure trying labor and seeing if it will work is a better option for me than an elective c-section.
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM

My MW using only her hands estimated DS to be about 8 lbs.  He was born 4 days later at 8lb 2oz. 

jasyoung2012
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Dr said at 36 weeks he was already 10, by 40 weeks dr said 11 lbs, born 41 weeks 1 day at 8 lbs 9 oz...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)