Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

For moms that have 2+ children

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM
  • 32 Replies
I'm so excited about this baby but at the same time I am so nervous because I want my 4 year old daughter to feel included after I give birth. How did it go at the hospital when your oldest child met their new sibling? Did they meet right after you gave birth? Waited until you went home? Did they meet the baby before anyone else? Did any of your children not want to leave the hospital and sleep there? I would love to hear everyone's story on how you made your child feel included.
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abharper
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM
My son came in and was first to see my daughter. I kept him included by having him help with baby and offered him to cuddle on her. He was so happy with her until she learned to talk...now they just argue! Lol. Im pregmant with number 3 but theres a 10 year gap this time.
mommie2madison
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM

I have 3.  When I had my 2nd my oldest was 11 years old, so it was different...

But when I had #3, my #2 was 2&1/2.  She was amazing.  She came to the hospital the evening her little sister was born, and she lit up so happy.  She couldn't wait to hold/kiss/love up on her new little sister.  My #3 is now 5 weeks old and so far, nothing's changed.  My middle child LOVES her sisters - hope it will last forever!

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM

My only child at the time came the day after the birth and met her new baby sister.  To help the transition go smoother, i was reading books to her about my pregnancy, say hi to the baby in my belly, got her a gift from the baby that I gave to her at the hospital and included her in the care of the baby such as bringing the diapers, wipes, bottles, helping to give the baby the bottle, helping to feed the baby baby food, etc.  Yep mine will be 4 when this one is born but she is our middle child, my eldest was 2.5 at the time and it was fairly smooth transition.

LifesALilHectic
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:43 AM

LOL well my oldest two are 11 months apart so my oldest was jealous when she saw mommy holding another baby in the hospital. My DD actually climbed in the baby's bed and sat there smiling. She had her moments when she wanted to pick on him growing up, but she also protected him. When she was 2 she had a bad dream and thought she heard noises outside their bedroom window.... She grabbed her brothers leg and dragged him out of the room to where we were screaming that she saw something.... Little brother was screaming all the way down the hallway as his sister is dragging him through the house by one leg HAHAHAHAHAHA. I wish I could have gotten that on tape.

228mommy922
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM
Im so worried about this. My little one will only be 18 months so she wont really understand. But im worried about her being jealous.
booaura
by Aurabella on May. 2, 2014 at 2:18 AM
I had the older child/ren come in maybe three hours after birth to meet the baby. It was never a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
infinity34
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:46 AM

lol.... mine might scare you...lol... when i had my first boy he was very close to me and i spoiled him to death... two yrs later, i gave birth to his little brother and i mean IMMEDIATELY after i brought him home, he literally tried to kill him. This went on for two yrs. I caught him trying to smother him with a pillow on the floor. He blacked his eye with a toy while in his carrier. And was always trying to sneak around or catch a time to attack. it was awful. I think he was a little jealous of the fact that he was now getting his attention and he felt left out. Its funny beause that was 7 yrs ago. Now their close as ever and like two peas in a pot. lmao...

1wildchild
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM
DD was in the waiting room with my step dad when I had DS1, then he brought her in to meet her brother as soon as we were all cleaned up.
When I had DS2 my first two were with a babysitter and they didn't come up to the hospital until after I was moved to a recovery room a few hours after the birth. DD (4 1/2 at the time) thought me and the baby were going to go home with them so she got upset when we didn't.
Hopen
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:43 AM
I have 3, but they are triplets. I am pregnant again, they will be 2 shortly after baby gets here. I want them to be among the first to meet him (with exception of grandparents that will bring them).

My sis in law does this with each baby, so the child feels important too and that they are part of what's going on! Gl and Congrats!
RADmomma
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:51 AM

When I had my second my oldest was 5. She was with me at the hospital until it was time to push, then my dad took her for a walk until baby was cleaned up and I was ready for her to come back. She did amazing. We brought things for her to do, vidoes to watch.... LOTS of snacks. Then my parents took her back to our house to sleep. She visited the next day and brought her new baby sister a small present. When we came home we brought the big sister a small gift from baby. She is the best big sister ever.

When we were home I made sure to include her as much as possible. Let her pick the diaper, let her pick the outfit... Sing to baby....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)