Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hospital birth question - help please if you've had one

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM
  • 42 Replies

I've had my 4 babies at a birth center or home - but now we are pregnant with twins so i'm trying to wrap my head around a hospital birth being a possibility.  What all happens with a hospital birth?  For example, we don't do vit K, eye ointment or anything like that with our other births.   I've never been induced, had pit/pain meds or an IV.  I just don't even know what 'standard procedure' at the hospital is so that I know what to research or refuse, etc.  I just want to be as educated about everything I can.  Thanks for your help!

by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM

how far along are you? I would first recommend doing a hospital tour where they can answer many of these questions. You can always deny the ointment and vit k. You can refuse anything you want at the hospital... why can't you have the twins at a birth center?

StaciF
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM

i'm only 10 weeks.  there are only 2 birth centers in my area and neither can do twins (not sure if it's legal or what) - from my understanding there is one midwife who does homebirth twins but it's sort of a "oh look, there's a second one coming out!" situation.  However, if I were to go into labor early I know I would have to be at a hospital if they needed NICU care - just trying to figure out all my options while it's early.  I am seeing my midwife for prenatal care until I decided what I'm going to do.

Quoting Larsbug:

how far along are you? I would first recommend doing a hospital tour where they can answer many of these questions. You can always deny the ointment and vit k. You can refuse anything you want at the hospital... why can't you have the twins at a birth center?

Larsbug
by Laura on May. 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM

gotcha, it's always good to be informed about everything, and yes a NICU is very important for premies... I've had c-sections (one emergency and one repeat) but every hospital is different in how they do things. You can always call around to different hospitals and ask these questions, usually someone can answer them for that exact hospital :-)

Quoting StaciF:

i'm only 10 weeks.  there are only 2 birth centers in my area and neither can do twins (not sure if it's legal or what) - from my understanding there is one midwife who does homebirth twins but it's sort of a "oh look, there's a second one coming out!" situation.  However, if I were to go into labor early I know I would have to be at a hospital if they needed NICU care - just trying to figure out all my options while it's early.  I am seeing my midwife for prenatal care until I decided what I'm going to do.

Quoting Larsbug:

StaciF
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM

that reminds me! i need to check with my insurance - we only have two hospital groups in our area and i don't know if they are both covered - that will definitely narrow things down lol.  thanks again

Quoting Larsbug:

gotcha, it's always good to be informed about everything, and yes a NICU is very important for premies... I've had c-sections (one emergency and one repeat) but every hospital is different in how they do things. You can always call around to different hospitals and ask these questions, usually someone can answer them for that exact hospital :-)

Quoting StaciF:

Quoting Larsbug:

booaura
by Aurabella on May. 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had two hospital births. Totally natural and medication free. You can say what you want for the babies. Mine got no ointment, no shots for at least 24 hours, immediate skin to skin, no bottles or formula, just breast milk, never left my room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.love.my.life
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM
You need to set up an appt with an OB/midwife/NP at one of the hospitals and talk to them about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM

YES! Definately call insurance, most hospitals are in-network with insurances but not all. You may want to ask too, if the hospital that is covered doesn't have a level 3 NICU which hospital is covered for them to go to. I don't know about your hospitals but some of ours here aren't all fully equipped to be a level 3 NICU (for super little's) but have a level 2 (if that makes sense).

Quoting StaciF:

that reminds me! i need to check with my insurance - we only have two hospital groups in our area and i don't know if they are both covered - that will definitely narrow things down lol.  thanks again

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting StaciF:

Quoting Larsbug:

StaciF
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

i was just checking on my insurance website and it looks like only one of the hospital groups is covered - which it is a level 3 and the better (in my opinion - i've worked for both hospitals) of the two groups. 

Quoting Larsbug:

YES! Definately call insurance, most hospitals are in-network with insurances but not all. You may want to ask too, if the hospital that is covered doesn't have a level 3 NICU which hospital is covered for them to go to. I don't know about your hospitals but some of ours here aren't all fully equipped to be a level 3 NICU (for super little's) but have a level 2 (if that makes sense).

Quoting StaciF:

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting StaciF:

Quoting Larsbug:

StaciF
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM

thanks! i see my midwife wednesday for my first prenatal visit and will talk with her and get some suggestions of who she can hopefully recommend ob/midwife wise that will line up with how we have done our previous deliveries.  this will be baby 5/6 for us - but it feels like i've never done this before!!

Quoting i.love.my.life: You need to set up an appt with an OB/midwife/NP at one of the hospitals and talk to them about it.

loveyourenemy
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't have to have an epidural if you don't want to. You can do everything naturally in a hospital and if you want a midwife instead you can do that. I'm having a midwife this time since my delivery with my first was so easy. I had a doctor but the nurse and I did all the work. All the doctor did was catch my baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)