Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone ever had FENTANYL during labor or is planning on it ?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM
  • 33 Replies

Just curious. I had an epidural with my first and I'm def not getting one this time. I'm aiming for a natural birth (in a hospital). Once I mentioned to my ob that I wasn't interested in an epidural and going natural, she brought up fentanyl. Never heard of it before and was curious as to those who used it. I'm assuming she brought it up just in case my labor turns out to be harder for me to handle. I guess it's always nice to know what other options are out there. Thanks !

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
falloutboy
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm assuming that is a pain killer? I had Stadol and an epidural with my first and only had time for my IV (barely lol) with my second.

Avoid induction! My first was induced and it was very difficult compared to my second that was not.
ciaras_mom_05
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this
No but here's a bump :)
booaura
by Aurabella on May. 4, 2014 at 5:48 AM
I've never used any painkillers during labor and don't intend to start now. Fentanyl is given IV.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I did. I had it three times before I got my epidural. It is given through your IV and each dose lasts about an hour. It was great, but when that hour is up, it is UP. At least for me, there was no gradual wear off. It just goes away. I did three doses. We went with that instead of Stadol, because all Stadol really does is make you not care you're in pain, and I didn't like the idea of altering my perceptions. The Fentanyl didn't do that and at least I got a few naps in while I had it.
hbritton
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I wouldn't take anything through the IV.

If you're drugged, so it the baby. Also, it wouldn't be " natural birth" if you're taking drugs.
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Not during labor but I have had fentanyl. It is a very powerful drug. It makes me groggy and a bit loopy, which is common. Just a friendly warning. You might have some pain relief but you may also not remember your child's first moments with any sort of clarity.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on May. 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

It's a narcotic pain killer, so it'll essentially make you feel higher than a kite. 

LDavis33
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I had it with my first born.  It made me high as a kite, nauseous and wore off very quickly for me (life, within 15 minutes).  Totally not worth it.

Lovingmyks
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM
It's narcotic and I wouldn't take it. I was just in the hospital and they tried to give it to me.
doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Not for myself, natural births only with my labors.    But I have helped moms with labor and they reported their experiences were not worth it.     (hurting but didn't care, not connected-grounded, out of it, drugged)     

Why is your doctor offering this if you said you want a natural birth?      Hopefully she offered many natural coping strategies, too!        Is this the same doctor you had before?     Is she supportive of natural birthing & whatever you want to do naturally?     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)