Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

pumping question

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 2:42 AM
  • 14 Replies
So one of my friends on facebook was sayin how she is leaking already at 18 weeks and someone said something about her pumping already. My question is have any of u ladies pumped before having the baby? They saidbit will cause ur uterus to contract. Im 39 weeks today and they saidbit should try it to help get labor started. Has anyone ever herd of this or done it?
by on May. 5, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Aurabella on May. 5, 2014 at 3:06 AM
No, don't pump! That can cause preterm labor, and that can be dangerous, especially at 18 weeks. Nipple stimulation is a common method to attempt a 'natural' induction. Baby will come when baby is ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntersmommy91
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:13 AM
She us 18 weeks im 39 weeks. She said she wasn't going to do it I was just wondering if it helps jump start labor

Quoting booaura: No, don't pump! That can cause preterm labor, and that can be dangerous, especially at 18 weeks. Nipple stimulation is a common method to attempt a 'natural' induction. Baby will come when baby is ready.
booaura
by Aurabella on May. 5, 2014 at 3:27 AM
Trying to jumpstart labor, at any point, isn't a good idea. Baby won't come until he/she is ready, and isn't coming yet for a reason.

Quoting huntersmommy91: She us 18 weeks im 39 weeks. She said she wasn't going to do it I was just wondering if it helps jump start labor

Quoting booaura: No, don't pump! That can cause preterm labor, and that can be dangerous, especially at 18 weeks. Nipple stimulation is a common method to attempt a 'natural' induction. Baby will come when baby is ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on May. 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Pumping can start contractions..i would highly suggest your friend not pump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aeneva
by on May. 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Nipple stimulation can cause contractions so probably not a good idea to take the chance.  No gurantee it will but it can.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

This

Quoting lillucky8: Pumping can start contractions..i would highly suggest your friend not pump

Marty17976
by on May. 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM

My BF did nipple stimulation and sucking on my breasts to try to get labor started.  The labor had already started but stopped when I relaxed in the birthing water tub.  We also did a lot of walking to restart labor. The mid wife suggested that my BF kiss and talk to me while he stimulated my boobs.  She says that does a lot to bring on labor....of course, it has to be time for the baby to come.

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM
It didn't help me with my first, he needed a rainstorm. My second I had my membranes stripped and had him less than 24 hours later. I heard pumping can work tho.
doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Yes, nipple stimulation can start labor.     If you are still pregnant then there is an important reason worth considering!    ;-)      
Your body and baby are getting close and getting all ready...   Lots to line-up to make things safest and most effective (for mom and for baby!).      

Is this your first baby?

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

huntersmommy91
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not really gonna try to force labor to start want her ready when she is ready to meet us. I just never herd of anything like this before I personally dont think I would try too pump right now anyways. This will be my second my ds is about to be 5 on the 16th I had him at exactly 39 weeks this little girl has him beat I'm 39 weeks and 1 day today.

Quoting doulala:

Yes, nipple stimulation can start labor.     If you are still pregnant then there is an important reason worth considering!    ;-)      Your body and baby are getting close and getting all ready...   Lots to line-up to make things safest and most effective (for mom and for baby!).      

Is this your first baby?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN