Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Doctor won't do an ultrasound for now

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM
  • 22 Replies
Ok since my OB has been measuring one week I was 2 weeks ahead, then the following appointment I was measuring one week ahead, my appoinent two weeks ago I was measuring right on track 32 weeks. I went for my appointment today I am 34 weeks but measuring at almost 37 weeks. She said you are measuring big but let's see at your next appointment if you are still measuring big then do an ultrasound ( I will be 36 weeks). Now, I am sitting here wondering how big will my child be? With my first I measured on track had her 9 days early and she was 7lbs. 7.9oz. and 21 inches long. I don't feel big I just noticed it is harder this time around to DTD then it was when I was pregnant with DD and painful to walk sometimes due to my sciatic nerve which I never had problems with when I was pregnant with DD. If you measured ahead what was your outcome? I can't believe she is making me wait to do an ultrasound I could tell she was debating about waiting or doing one now. She seemed a little concerned I was measuring so big.
by on May. 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on May. 16, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Fundal heights are even less accurate in determining size than ultrasounds are. I measured almost 6 weeks behind at 41 weeks and my baby was 8lbs2oz. It depends on several factors such as baby and placental position, maternal frame and size, fluid, etc. I wouldn't worry.
doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Just a standard fundal height check?      Does she measure the same way each time (under clothes)?    
What position is your baby in when she palpates you?        
Positioning can have an affect on that, too.    

I don't see any big reason to worry but keeping an eye on things won't hurt.     Are you having a healthy pregnancy? 

lost2013
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM
She always measures under my clothes she measures the same way when I go. Right before she measured the baby did move so maybe that was the reson. The pregnancy has been healthy at the beginning I lost weight because of being to sick toy stomach to eat, then I couldn't gain weight, but now I can't stop gaining weight gained 31lbs. in the last 3 months. My OB didn't want me to gain more than 35lbs. Looks like I am going to gain more than that. With my DD I only gained 30lbs. total.
Quoting doulala:

Just a standard fundal height check?      Does she measure the same way each time (under clothes)?    What position is your baby in when she palpates you?         Positioning can have an affect on that, too.    

I don't see any big reason to worry but keeping an eye on things won't hurt.     Are you having a healthy pregnancy? 

sjenkins8208
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM
I've been measuring at least two weeks ahead since 20 weeks. They aren't really concerned because it's very inaccurate and this isn't my first pregnancy. But my OB said we could do an ultrasound around 36 weeks if I wanted. Either way I don't want a csection so it doesn't really matter I guess....
lost2013
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I am measuring 3 weeks ahead. I read two weeks ahead is normal.
Quoting sjenkins8208: I've been measuring at least two weeks ahead since 20 weeks. They aren't really concerned because it's very inaccurate and this isn't my first pregnancy. But my OB said we could do an ultrasound around 36 weeks if I wanted. Either way I don't want a csection so it doesn't really matter I guess....
RADmomma
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Honestly.. An ultrasound can be off by a few pounds. It's not an accurate weight...

I measure ahead in every pregnancy. My first was 9lbs & my second was 8.12 lbs...
sjenkins8208
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Baby might just have been having a growth spurt. It sounded like you were sort of all over the place. If you really want one, and your ob won't sign off, you can always get one threw a private place. Ones that do the 4D ultrasounds

Quoting lost2013: I am measuring 3 weeks ahead. I read two weeks ahead is normal.
Quoting sjenkins8208: I've been measuring at least two weeks ahead since 20 weeks. They aren't really concerned because it's very inaccurate and this isn't my first pregnancy. But my OB said we could do an ultrasound around 36 weeks if I wanted. Either way I don't want a csection so it doesn't really matter I guess....
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Fundal height, ultrasounds, etc are really inaccurate. I wouldn't worry too much! At one point, I was measuring four weeks ahead. It always fluctuated. My son was born on his due date at 8lbs 3oz; perfectly normal! 

PeachySweet2007
by on May. 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I oddly did NOT measure ahead w my son, and he weighed 8 lbs even when I had him at 35 weeks. Big guy. So you never know.
Larsbug
by Laura on May. 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM

findal height isn't exactly accurate since baby moves around and could have been in a weird position... don't let the doctor scare you into thinking your baby is "too big"... I measured ahead for most of my pregnancy with DS2 until I hit 36 weeks and then I dropped off a lot and staying around "34 weeks" (fundal height) until he was born and he was bigger than my first son but he was still only 7 lbs 1 oz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN