Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

After a c-section while EP??

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

so about 2-3 days ago, I started having some stretchy fluids - i'm at the tail end of spotting - but i've been havina  lot of period like cramping the last week or so too. I'm about a month after my c-section and i've been EPing about every 2-3 hours a day, except a 4-6 hour chunk at night due to the nicu requiring a lot of my time and needing sleep to function.

What are the odds that stretchy fluid is a sign of fertility? Is it normal after a c-section? I don't know what i'm dealing with since I've never had a c-seciton before, and after my term babies vaginally, I don't have any kind of stretchy fluids usually until about 12-18 months post partum due to breastfeeding exclusively..... so i'm confused what my body's doing.

by on May. 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Freckles85
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:39 PM
I never had this after my c section but here is a bump.
Jessica6410
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I have never had a c-section so not sure. But I would consider it fertile mucus since you're not producing the amount of milk you would had you been full term and nursing on demand. I've had a couple friends who got pregnant shortly after birth while nursing a full term baby so very possible to have fertilily soon after birth while pumping.

Jessica6410
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM

How is Wyatt?

kelly617
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM

It could be
Your body didn't get to finish being pregnant so your body wants to return to that state (thats why women are super fertile after birth) so it would make sense that you're fertile now
so be careful you aren't trying...and if you are TTC get on it!

Good luck either way

Hopen
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I pumped with the trio from September through beginning of April and my period returned in Dec. I took forever to stop bleeding/spotting. My Dr said it was because I was traveling to and from the nicu so much that my body was slow to heal. You and I weren't able to stay home and rest after our c-sections. After my miscarriage everyone said I would ovulate first then have a period, so maybe you ate prepping for a period!

Kiss those beautiful miracles for me!
kajira
by Emma on May. 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I'm pumping over 24oz per day - I'm an over producer, and I had built my supply up to accomodate twins before one of them died after 3 weeks.

His brother is still alive, so i'm no longer worried about getting my supply up MORE at this point as i'm making enough to cover his needs for a full term baby - I've also nursed my friends baby when she had kidney stones in the ER and had no issues keeping that baby happy with the amount of milk I produced hehe.

As to the fertility stuff, I have issues ovulating, but I just wasn't sure if what I saw was just regular slime from like a c-section, or the possibility of hormones and fertile fluids.

It is fine if it's fertile fluids though, I was jsut curious if it's LIKELY to be fertile fluids, or related to healing.

Quoting Jessica6410:

I have never had a c-section so not sure. But I would consider it fertile mucus since you're not producing the amount of milk you would had you been full term and nursing on demand. I've had a couple friends who got pregnant shortly after birth while nursing a full term baby so very possible to have fertilily soon after birth while pumping.

kajira
by Emma on May. 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

He's doing decent all things considered.

Quoting Jessica6410:

How is Wyatt?

Jessica6410
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

That's great. He looks like he is growing! He looks more like a newborn with his eye open now. How much does he weigh now?

Quoting kajira:

Quoting Jessica6410:

How is Wyatt?

MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I EPed for 3 months while my son was in the NICU and my cycle/period started back right away.  I had my c-section and bled about 3 weeks and then my period hit.

It's a good possibility that you are fertile and that your cycle is returning.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

kajira
by Emma on May. 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

he's still under 2 lbs - we need to get him to tolerate feeds so we can start getting his weight up. The priority originally was just keeping him alive.

Quoting Jessica6410:

That's great. He looks like he is growing! He looks more like a newborn with his eye open now. How much does he weigh now?

Quoting kajira:

Quoting Jessica6410:

How is Wyatt?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN