Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Factors Did You Consider When Selecting Your Baby’s Formula?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:10 AM
  • 124 Replies

As a parent you want to give your little one the best but it can be a challenge to find the perfect baby formula. There are several factors to consider when selecting your baby's formula (nutrition, price, etc.).

Tell us, What factors did you consider when selecting your baby's formula?

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The CafeMom Team

CafeMom partners with Similac® to drive discussion around bottle feeding. In return, CafeMom thanks these selected moms for their participation with a $25 gift card.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplyMay
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Our son was born at 36 weeks so he spent a few days in the NICU (his breathing was a bit elevated so he was kept for observation). Since day one we supplemented breast milk with formula. Our formula decision was simple; we continued to feed him the same formula that the he was given in the NICU. 

Price point wasn't a concern for us at the time. We wanted to be sure that he was getting all of the nutrients he needed and it was important that he had a formula that his little tummy agreed with. We haven't had any issues with the formula he's on so we haven't felt the need to change it to a different blend (soy, sensitive tummy, etc.).

lesalmi
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Originally I was breast feeding. However just like with my daughter I just started drying up after 6 weeks. So we went to formula

With my daughter, back in 2008, I very quickly learned that she was lactose sensitive and switched her to soy. Unfortunately the soy smelled horrible so I tried the sensitive. It worked fabulously!

With my son, currently, I tried a regular formula my friend had between using the remainder of my frozen storage. Once again became obvious that there was a lactose sensitivity so we went directly to the sensitive.

When selecting a formula I most definately looked at price. But I also spent a good hour reading ingredients on the packages and calculated out what was the best quality for the best price. While I qualify for WIC I didn't want to use it if I didn't have too.
LTryon
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM

My name is Linda, and these are my munchkins. :)

With my oldest, he was born at 35 weeks with a genetic metabolic condition called Galactosemia. Because of that he can't have milk (among other foods), so our main thing with finding a formula for him was that it had to be soy. We chose a popular brand based on word of mouth from friends/family, and also the recommendation of his pediatrician. Price was not a concern.

With my 2nd, I attempted to breastfeed, but chasing around a 21 month old, while trying to nurse a colicy newborn proved too difficult for me, so I switched her to a formula specially formulated for fussiness and gas, hoping that would help with her colic.

My 3rd was primarily breastfeed, but was given 1 bottle per day of soy formula because I was unable to pump and she was lactose intolerant. She was weaned at 26 months when my 4th was born.

My 4th is also breastfed, but we supplement with formula as needed, because I am unable to pump, and life has gotten a little bit busier with having 4 little ones. The formula we use with her is one that is specifically made for supplementing.

eliz85
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I pumped breastmilk exclusively for my little girl's first 3 months, then it started taking a toll on me. Emotionally, I felt like I was spending all my time hooked up to a machine and not enough with my daughter. Physically, I was exhausted from all the extra steps it involved. It was hard to make the decision to switch over to formula, but now that we've been a formula-feeding family for the last 3 months, I am really happy with the decision and I think she is too since she has a happy, well rested, mommy again!

When it came to deciding which one to use, we gave a few different brands a try. Top priority was finding one that she liked that didn't cause her any issues. She ended up with the first brand we tried (the other ones gave her gas issues and/or she didn't seem to like the taste), but isn't on any special blend (soy, etc.).

Price point and easy to find were minor concerns, but with the marvels of the internet, I was able to quickly compare prices and find the closest place with the cheapest place to get the formula that seemed to work best for her.

littlemoments99
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM

We received a few samples in the mail and weren't sure which one we were going to go with if I didn't want to breastfeed. Breastfeeding didn't work well for me and so I asked the hospital for formula. They gave me two brands they had and we chose the one that we also had samples of at home. 

Our baby is on that brand now and it works well for us. 

We looked at prices and it seemed that most were around the same. We got checks in the mail from the brand we chose for $5 off and we LOVE those! We get our formula from a warehouse store and are able to get a big box of formula and get $5 off. It's so great. Price is a big, big factor and I wish formula was cheaper, but we just figure, formula is just expensive. Not much we can do. 

Of course, nutrition is the most important!   :)

kdgord
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM
We mostly breastfeed but also give a couple of supplemental bottles of formula each day to help our little one gain weight as he, like his 3 older siblings, has been slow to gain. We found a formula that is specifically for supplementation for breastfeeding mom's who choose to introduce formula. We felt that we would try that since it was what we were doing. Our little guy hasn't had any problems with it so we have kept using it.
MamaRamma
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM
First off, I have 3 children. All three have been formula supplement fed leading to full formula fed. I would have liked to exclusively breastfeed but with each child issues led to us choosing to supplement breastfeeding or fully formula feed. When considering formula we chose to continue using the same kind offered to us in the hospital. My current child that is using formula is slowly switching to the organic option available from the same brand. I think the most important thing is the quality of ingredients. Secondly the child has to be able to digest the particular formula well, last is cost. I am not brand sensitive and am willing to try any brand that offers a quality product. Store brand, generic or name brand, all are okay.
MommieCotter42
by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I am mom of 3. My first was only formula feed we tried several different brands with her because she was a fussy baby. When we found the one that made her happy we stuck to it.

My second was breastfeed for the first 10 months. When I went back to work we switched to formula to make it easier on the sitter. We decided to start with the brand we liked with our first and then switched only to save money. We found one that cost less and have is s bit more in the can.

Note with my 3rd he is mostly breastfeed. He did do a week straight of formula at the start and we just bought for cost at that time. He had not had any issues when we give him a bottle of formula.
djtetteh
by on May. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Both of my children are very big eaters. I did almost exclusively breastfeed my oldest son, but couldn't keep up with his demand when I went back to work after my maternity leave. So I used formula samples I had received before he was born. He got sick and showed signs of lactose sensitivity. So I switched him to the formula for lactose sensitivity.

With my now 10 week old. He was born at 36 weeks. I attempted to breastfeed him, but he had such a terrible time latching properly. So at the hospital he was started on formula. Because of his inability to latch, my supply declined. He later developed the lactose sensitivity as well. ..so he too was switched.

I chose the brand I went with because it is available everywhere I shop and the sensitive formula is great.
Kaydence2010
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
I was determined to exclusively breastfeed like i did with my 4 year old dd. My 2nd dd is now 7 months old. I had a milk stash in my freezer but my husband ended up in the hospital for over a week in stage 4 kidney failure when my youngest was 4 months old. I NEEDED to be with him but i didnt have a big enough milk stash so i did some research and tried a supplementation formula and she took to it no problem! Such a relief. I didnt plan on her being on formula for ever but it makes going out easier so we primarily nurse but supplement with formula. The formula she takes is somewhat pricey but it sits well with her so its worth the money.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)