Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rhd negative (please help)

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 33 Replies
I'm 27 weeks and I just found out that I carry the Rhd negative factor. I'm not really sure what that means all except the fact that I'll have to take a shot at 28weeks and right after my baby girl is born.. can anyone give me any information about this. What exactly does it pute at risk for etc.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM
It means that you and baby have different blood types. They will give you the 2 shots. Ive had a few friends with it and no problems.
LifesALilHectic
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM

If you have a negative Rh factor and your child is a positive blood type and your blood mixes it could create antibodies that will attack both your blood and the baby's blood. The shot is an attempt to avoid this.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM
It creates a risk of a blood reaction if baby is Rh positive and your blood mixes with hers or hers mixes with yours... It's pretty rare to happen. If baby is Rh positive upon delivery you won't get the second shot. It's not much of a big deal.
addiesmommy1109
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM
I am RH negative and this is my third pregnancy. Basically to sum it up in easy words you have a negative blood type and your SO has a positive (in my case). Your body sees this as a foreign substance and attacks which would be the baby. The shots help regulate it or else your child could end up needing a blood transfusion. It's not AS scary as it sounds i promise but it is something to definitely keep in mind if you spot or etc. Just make sure you remind them of the shot.
asleva
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM
It's not rare at all. That's why rhogam was created. With your first baby, the reaction won't be strong and baby will be fine. With each subsequent baby, the reaction WILL get stronger, and leads to HDN (hemolytic disease of the newborn), which CAN kill your baby, if you even carry it to term. That being said, if you get your shots, your body won't form the antibody, and your babies will be just fine.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: It creates a risk of a blood reaction if baby is Rh positive and your blood mixes with hers or hers mixes with yours... It's pretty rare to happen. If baby is Rh positive upon delivery you won't get the second shot. It's not much of a big deal.
EninJenniLouis
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I'm RH negative too. I've had two RH negative babies and one positive baby. I only needed the second shot with my RH positive baby. If this baby is RH positive, I'll need to get the second shot again, but if not I'll just get the one at 28 weeks.
karaklett
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I'm RH negative too. But so is my husband and both of our kids so I don't have to get the shot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nankwalu
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM
the
shot on 28th prevents your body from fighting the foreign substance by
creating antibodies n the shot on your delivery date is preparing you
for next pregnancy to be safe. in most cases when a mother is not aware
of this rhd negative she tends to have several miscarriages or bare
child with aneamia leading to death
ftmom_1
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Well I'll be 28weeks next Tuesday but my Dr. Doesnt have me scheduled to take my rohgam shot until the 24 of June. Is it okay if I don't get the shot right at 28weeks? Or should I call my Dr. And ask him to reschedule?

Quoting asleva: It's not rare at all. That's why rhogam was created. With your first baby, the reaction won't be strong and baby will be fine. With each subsequent baby, the reaction WILL get stronger, and leads to HDN (hemolytic disease of the newborn), which CAN kill your baby, if you even carry it to term. That being said, if you get your shots, your body won't form the antibody, and your babies will be just fine.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: It creates a risk of a blood reaction if baby is Rh positive and your blood mixes with hers or hers mixes with yours... It's pretty rare to happen. If baby is Rh positive upon delivery you won't get the second shot. It's not much of a big deal.
asleva
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Nope, you're ok. There's practically no blood transfer at this point. The biggest risk for blood transfer between mom and baby is during a trauma (car accident, fall, etc) and during delivery.

Quoting ftmom_1: Well I'll be 28weeks next Tuesday but my Dr. Doesnt have me scheduled to take my rohgam shot until the 24 of June. Is it okay if I don't get the shot right at 28weeks? Or should I call my Dr. And ask him to reschedule?

Quoting asleva: It's not rare at all. That's why rhogam was created. With your first baby, the reaction won't be strong and baby will be fine. With each subsequent baby, the reaction WILL get stronger, and leads to HDN (hemolytic disease of the newborn), which CAN kill your baby, if you even carry it to term. That being said, if you get your shots, your body won't form the antibody, and your babies will be just fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)