Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Chromosomal Testing

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 11 Replies
Did you have the chromosomal testing for Downs Syndrome, Trisomy, etc? It's an ultrasound and bloodwork only. Why or why not? This is our first pregnancy and my DH and I keep changing our minds!!
To add- we wouldn't be terminating no matter what, test would just be for preparation reasons, but we also heard the test isn't very accurate either.
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I didn't. 

Its not worth the anxiety and stress to us. 

We won't be terminating the pregnancy regardless. 

Avetay
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
I always take the blood test. Juat incase I need to make special preparations for a baby with special needs
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I did not, because of the history of such a high rate of false positives.

karaklett
by Kara on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM
I did the ultrasound just so I could have an ultrasound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HazelBug
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM
I won't get genetic testing. It's just too much stress. I wouldn't get rid of my baby anyway so I didn't see the poin for that reason. But also I feel that I would just rather think my baby was perfect. Because even with an anomoly I think my baby would be perfect for me.

I would rather deal with something later on that mull over it the whole pregnancy. It seems like the knowing would take away some of the joy that comes with expecting a new baby.
yroder2003
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I turned down the blood test, but they checked my babies images during my anatomy scan, and she's perfectly healthy and normal.
kamismommy1208
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM
My husband and I decided not to have these tests done with both our dd and this pregnancy. We knew we wouldn't terminate the pregnancy, we didn't need the unwanted stress of getting a positive results just to find out it was a false positive since the false positive rate is so high.
GwenW
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I never do the testing. It would cause too much added stress, not to mention I would never abort for such a reason. Any baby, no matter if it had downs or anything else or is completely healthy, is a loved and wanted baby. My husband and I have also worked with special needs children and although we would still have a lot to learn we adored every single one of those children and would dore ours even more.

themissheather
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Nope. I decline routine ultrasounds and have no interest in extensive testing.
laurenmommyof3
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM
We did with all three. Just incase we needed a heads up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)