Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hospitals vs. Birthing Centers

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
  • 57 Replies
What's the difference and which is better to you? I had the worst experience in hospital with my son and I was thinking of doing something different this time around. I've been seeing different birthing centers popping up around and it makes me wanna atleast check them out! So if you have experience with both, which one did you like the best?
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summerbear
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I loved the birthing center I went to. It was a much better experience. They didn't treat labor like a medical procedure. I was free to move around, use a birth ball, yoga, tub... what ever I wanted to do for non-medicated comfort, they were open to. 

I hate going to the hospital and being hooked up to wires the entire time! Even the wire-less monitors sucked, it had to be in "just the right spot" and if I moved a certain way the monitor would move and lose the heartbeat. It sucked. If I were close enough again, I would definitely do a birth center again!

ELKmountain.mom
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I actually went from hospital straight to home birth but my midwife runs a large birth center and its great! I go there for appts and if I hadn't already had a home birth I think it would be very nice to deliver there. They are as home like as you can get without being home which for us just didn't make much sense but many people are more comfortable with the idea of being "somewhere" ha

Good luck, I hope you find a wonderful one!

228mommy922
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Everyone is different if you didn't like the hospital then it's probably worth checking it out. For me I would be way to nervous. The hospital was more comfortable to me.
HazelBug
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Hospitals scare the poo out of me. So I like to avoid them as much as I can. I choose home birth because I feel safer in my own space. I wouldn't want to birth hooked up to a ton of wires with people looking at me and my lady parts every hour. I like to move around in labor and haven't any interest in pain meds. (I think there is a very good chance they wouldn't work well on me. I've never been fully numb for any procedure before. I've had much dental work. I've had a boil cut open. I've had a thyroid cyst drained. Pain meds never fully took and I took higher doses.)
I also don't want to up my chances of major abdominal surgery. At home I have a very small chance of transfer. At a hospital (the local one here) I have a 37% chance of c-section. first timers have around a 41% chance.
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

The best way I would describe the difference is that hospitals tend to DELIVER babies, while birthing centers tend to facilitate BIRTHING for mother and child.

JulietteM23
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM
They don't stick you with IVs in there? No stupid liquid bags hanging over the bed, that you have to drag around with you everywhere? Do they give you the option to do it with pain meds or do they do natural?

Quoting summerbear:

I loved the birthing center I went to. It was a much better experience. They didn't treat labor like a medical procedure. I was free to move around, use a birth ball, yoga, tub... what ever I wanted to do for non-medicated comfort, they were open to. 

I hate going to the hospital and being hooked up to wires the entire time! Even the wire-less monitors sucked, it had to be in "just the right spot" and if I moved a certain way the monitor would move and lose the heartbeat. It sucked. If I were close enough again, I would definitely do a birth center again!

JulietteM23
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Lol thank you. I think I definitely wanna look around for Birthing Centers. I'm not sure if I wanna do the homebirth just yet. Maybe I'll try that one next for my third if I have one? :) I want a different experience because the hospital I went to was horrible

Quoting ELKmountain.mom:

I actually went from hospital straight to home birth but my midwife runs a large birth center and its great! I go there for appts and if I hadn't already had a home birth I think it would be very nice to deliver there. They are as home like as you can get without being home which for us just didn't make much sense but many people are more comfortable with the idea of being "somewhere" ha

Good luck, I hope you find a wonderful one!

summerbear
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I did get a hep-lock. It's where they insert the cath into your arm and lock it. Just in case I needed meds for any reason via IV, I never needed it. It was just policy there. So no IV, no drip bag that I had to carry around....

I chose to do it natural. But, they did offer medicated pain relief.

Quoting JulietteM23: They don't stick you with IVs in there? No stupid liquid bags hanging over the bed, that you have to drag around with you everywhere? Do they give you the option to do it with pain meds or do they do natural?
Quoting summerbear:

JulietteM23
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:08 AM
What about it makes you nervous? I want different perspectives! :)

Quoting 228mommy922: Everyone is different if you didn't like the hospital then it's probably worth checking it out. For me I would be way to nervous. The hospital was more comfortable to me.
JulietteM23
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Eeeek! I couldn't imagine having any of that done and being able to feel it! Sheesh! I'm terrified of hospitals too. I just hate the pin pokes EVERYWHERE and the long waits for someone to cone to your room. Is a homebirth really that different than anywhere else. For some reason I just imagine an at home birth would be scarier than a hospital one.

Quoting HazelBug: Hospitals scare the poo out of me. So I like to avoid them as much as I can. I choose home birth because I feel safer in my own space. I wouldn't want to birth hooked up to a ton of wires with people looking at me and my lady parts every hour. I like to move around in labor and haven't any interest in pain meds. (I think there is a very good chance they wouldn't work well on me. I've never been fully numb for any procedure before. I've had much dental work. I've had a boil cut open. I've had a thyroid cyst drained. Pain meds never fully took and I took higher doses.)
I also don't want to up my chances of major abdominal surgery. At home I have a very small chance of transfer. At a hospital (the local one here) I have a 37% chance of c-section. first timers have around a 41% chance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)