Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

So I gave up on a birth plan right?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM
  • 24 Replies
Why is everyone asking me about one? My OBGYN has asked several times now. My husband still wants one written. Several of his co-workers and our friends have brought it up. Maybe I'm just being a grump but it's incredibly irritating.
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
228mommy922
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM
I didn't have one other than talking to dh and ob before hand.
Heather2001
by Heather on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Probably because it's pretty standard these days to pre-plan some of the things you'll want in your birth.  Yes, not all births go according to "plan", but it's nice to give them some idea of what you're looking for during this experience. 

Alluring
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:36 PM
They're not going to do what I want anyway. Why bother?
Quoting Heather2001:

Probably because it's pretty standard these days to pre-plan some of the things you'll want in your birth.  Yes, not all births go according to "plan", but it's nice to give them some idea of what you're looking for during this experience. 

Avetay
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:36 PM
If you know you still have your doctor fOr your birth then you may not bed anything in writing BUT if yoy still get stuck with whoever is on call that day thsn it may be nice so staff knows natural birth. No epi. Breastfeeding, no sugar water. ... our whatever you want
Mom100WV
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My plan consists of the following:

1.  Go to hospital

2.  Have baby

3.  Go home

I'm not concerned with having a natural child birth or when the cord is cut.  I feel in the minority here on CM when it comes to this, but all my friends that have recently had babies were with me on it and went into it without a birth plan and without regrets.  While I understand that many moms stress over having the birthing experience they want, since this is our first, I'm stressed enough about everything being okay to care about the details.

mandee1503
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM
I've never made a plan.
RADmomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always made a plan.

If you don't stand up for yourself of course they won't follow your wishes.

If you OB is asking about it... Chances are they're open to helping you achieve the birth you want.

If its the actual process that's causing you frustration just google birth plan template... There's ones out there where you just go down the list & check off the things that are important to you... Print it out & bam!!! Birth plan!!
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this
That attitude is setting you up for failure.

Do YOU care about your birth? Do YOU want a particular experience? Do you understand why you have a birth plan? Going in with a negative attitude and acting like you have no say in your birth is asking for postpartum depression, birth trauma, and/or very unnecessary procedures- including raising your risk of cesarean.

What do YOU want. If everything went exactly how you want it to go, what would your experience be like? Talk through it. Write it down. Learn what your ideal perfect birth is in your mind. Start there.

Quoting Alluring: They're not going to do what I want anyway. Why bother?
Quoting Heather2001:

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Blunt, but she's right - if you don't voice you're opinion your chances of getting what you want are slim to nil.

Another way to look at a birth plan is making decisions in advance.  For example part of my birth plan entailed my wishes in event of an emergency c-section.  That included wanting to be awake, seeing baby delivered, double stitching of the uterus, who was to accompany baby if they needed to be removed & who was to be with me, and skin-to-skin preference.  This way my care provider didn't have to waste time figuring out what was important to me, and what our wishes were.

It can be really difficult to make decisions, especially informed ones, in the heat of the moment under time constraint - especially if you're in any kind of discomfort.  That's exactly where labour puts you.  Having them made in advance frees you at the time of the birth to focus on other things.  Not being willing to make them in advance in certainly not going to void you from having to make them if the situation comes down to it, so why not put your best foot forward?

Quoting Pandapanda: That attitude is setting you up for failure. Do YOU care about your birth? Do YOU want a particular experience? Do you understand why you have a birth plan? Going in with a negative attitude and acting like you have no say in your birth is asking for postpartum depression, birth trauma, and/or very unnecessary procedures- including raising your risk of cesarean. What do YOU want. If everything went exactly how you want it to go, what would your experience be like? Talk through it. Write it down. Learn what your ideal perfect birth is in your mind. Start there.
Quoting Alluring: They're not going to do what I want anyway. Why bother?
Quoting Heather2001:

courtAKAmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I don't have a plan and didn't with my previous 3 births. I don't truly understand what people want to know. I'm going to the hospital, getting an epidural, waiting till it's time to push then push. The only thing I will be requesting is the baby stay with me for the first hour. Our hospital whisk the baby away for several hours after birth to do test and bath them.
As far as any complications it's whatever is best for baby and me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN