Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

how can you tell contractions from Braxton hicks?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM
  • 22 Replies
I will be 33 weeks on Thursday. Today my stomach has been getting really hard along with sharp pain underneath. With some vaginal pain. At one point it lasted about 5 min and brought me to tears. Is this just braxton hicks? This is my third preg. I dont remember this with my first. I lost my second child at 27 weeks.
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristen518-06
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
I don't think I've ever experienced them. Here is a bump
19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

With my second Child they were pretty painful but did not have me in tears. Are they consistent? Heres how labor happened with me but it is different with everyone. I started having braxton hicks which to me was my belly harding and lots of pressure down below. They lasted like 1min and happend every 10-15min. Well it went on for a whole hour. Then after that I knew I was having real contrations because I was bent over breathing through them. And at this point they were consistent.

19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Drink lots of water and wait an hour and if they keep coming go get checked esp with you being only 33 weeks. 

delia42
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Real are painful, BH are just pressure (or so they say)
HazelBug
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:14 PM
I dunno. I went from a lot of braxton hicks for days and transitioned into real labor. I feel like labor was so gradual for me I couldn't tell you a definate start point.
lovebugs_mom906
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:11 AM
BH are random in timing and intensity. Real contractions have a pattern, they last longer and get closer together and stronger. Real contractions also cause changes to your cervix. I'm 36 weeks, and have been having BH since about 20 weeks. They are getting much stronger at times and they are happening more often, and I've had a few that cause pain/pressure to the vagina too. They are still random though.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:39 AM
Generally BH are erratic don't develop a pattern. Often an increase ine fluid or rest they will settle or stop

If your concerned call your doc in the morning and ask if they want to see you
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM

To me they felt very different.  BH were uncomfortable, tightening and high up.  Real contractions were lower, painful and brought me to my knees. 

I'm sorry for your loss and wish you only health and happiness with this one.

krystal.bird85
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:13 AM
Thanks everyone. I have appointment this morning. We will see what they say. He has been messuring at three weeks bigger since 17 weeks and he has had his head down since 25 weeks.
TiffanyJanelle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I think those are contractions I had a similar problem last Monday went to emergency and they ended up having to stop my contractions they wete five minutes apart doctor said I could have gone in labor
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)