Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Cervidil question

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM
  • 28 Replies

So tomorrow I'll be 41 weeks and I'm going in tomorrow evening to start induction. We're starting Cervidil at 7:30 PM and then pitocin in the morning.

I am hoping for a natural birth, but am worried that with the pitocin the contractions will be too strong for me to handle without an epidural. At my last appointment my cervix was still shut tight like a clam, but was very thin. Has anybody gone in with 0 dialation, and went into labor off the Cervidil alone, without the pitocin?

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summerbear
by Rachel on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Only times I have been induced I have already been dilated. I have had 2 pitocin inductions and 2 natural. The pitocin contractions were so much worse than the regular contractions! I never got a break and they kept coming, it was so unnatural! 

I know what it is like to be over the due date. My 2nd came when I was 41 weeks 2 days. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Good luck!

StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Why not wait one more week before induction?
tiffa5ny
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Because me and my brother were both overdue, and we were both nearly 10 lbs babies. I don't want to wait longer and risk a c-section.

Quoting StaciF: Why not wait one more week before induction?

24Mom2Be
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I went in with close to no dilation, like 1/2 cm. with the cervidil my contractions actually started on their own. But I ended up on pitocin anyway because I ended up with an epidural to lower my blood pressure.

On the other hand though, my friend was on pitocin with no epidural and she handled it like a champ.
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Best of luck then - really hope it goes the way you want

Quoting tiffa5ny:

Because me and my brother were both overdue, and we were both nearly 10 lbs babies. I don't want to wait longer and risk a c-section.

tiffa5ny
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Thank you. :) Being overdue is just about the most miserable thing isn't it? lol. Yesterday(?), I think it was yesterday, I woke up in the middle of the night to pee and it took me several minutes to get out of bed, I was stuck! I was seriously scared for a moment I wouldn't be able to without calling for help. lol.
And I've heard pitocin makes the contractions 2x's as painful as natural. When it comes down to it whatever gets the baby out at this point I'll take, but I'd rather avoid the stuff. 

Quoting summerbear:

Only times I have been induced I have already been dilated. I have had 2 pitocin inductions and 2 natural. The pitocin contractions were so much worse than the regular contractions! I never got a break and they kept coming, it was so unnatural! 

I know what it is like to be over the due date. My 2nd came when I was 41 weeks 2 days. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Good luck!

tiffa5ny
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Thank you :)

Quoting StaciF: Best of luck then - really hope it goes the way you want
Quoting tiffa5ny:

tiffa5ny
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Well that's sadistically ironic that the contractions started without the pitocin and then you had to get it anyway. :(

Glad to hear your friend did well though! I'm still going to try natural with the pitocin, but I'm not going to get upset with myself if I can't do it, ya know? I'll do the best I can.

Quoting 24Mom2Be: I went in with close to no dilation, like 1/2 cm. with the cervidil my contractions actually started on their own. But I ended up on pitocin anyway because I ended up with an epidural to lower my blood pressure. On the other hand though, my friend was on pitocin with no epidural and she handled it like a champ.

teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM

my first we tried cervadil, it didn't get me going enough so doc broke my waer and that did it. no pitocin.

tiffa5ny
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I wouldn't mind that. Maybe I'll ask about that before we try the pitocin and see what they think.

Quoting teri4lance:

my first we tried cervadil, it didn't get me going enough so doc broke my waer and that did it. no pitocin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)