Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Tooth extractions

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:09 AM
  • 16 Replies

Has anyone had a tooth extraction while pregnant?

I need my back tooth pulled due to i have an abscess and the infection is touching my nerve which makes it really painful. I'm just worried about if it will have any effect on the baby. I've read that it is safe and necessary so the infection doesn't spread to my baby. I'm just a little worried is all.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmthverana
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:14 AM

BUMP!

wingsfan1234
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM
I need the same thing done..was told as long as the gas isn't used should be fine..good luck!
N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM

It's ok to have dental work done while pregnant. Like you said its important to remove the infection ASAP. Good luck mama, sorry you're going through this. It's never fun but I imagine it's even worse while pregnant!

HisUsmcWifey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Yes. I had to get an infected wisdom tooth taken out with my first pregnancy, I was 16 weeks along when I had it done. I just had some local and then they gave me tylenol 3 which I only took for the first day because I was fine after that. Dental care is actually VERY important while pregnant.

G-BabysMom
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Yes mam all 4 wisdoms out and doing great now. Was in bad pain and only took extra strength tylenol for one day. But I got the out I feel better without them.
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM

id go get it done

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I've never had it done while I was preg, just got the antibiotics and waited till after the baby was born. Good luck!

tairakittie
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Yes, I had two extracted at once during this pregnancy, they will want to do it before the third trimester since you will be on your back for a while, during the second trimester is the best time. I needed another extracted but it took so long for the right side of my mouth to heal (I had a molar and the tooth directly above it taken out) that I decided to wait until after I have the baby to get the other one done, its the last bottom molar on the left side. Unfortunately the two I had extracted made it almost impossible to chew on my right side, so I still chew on my left side, no idea how im going to eat the weeks after I get the other molar extracted. :/
bmthverana
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Oh goodness :[ I'm sorry about that

Mine is my back right bottom tooth, hopefully i do't have to have any more pulled..

Quoting tairakittie: Yes, I had two extracted at once during this pregnancy, they will want to do it before the third trimester since you will be on your back for a while, during the second trimester is the best time. I needed another extracted but it took so long for the right side of my mouth to heal (I had a molar and the tooth directly above it taken out) that I decided to wait until after I have the baby to get the other one done, its the last bottom molar on the left side. Unfortunately the two I had extracted made it almost impossible to chew on my right side, so I still chew on my left side, no idea how im going to eat the weeks after I get the other molar extracted. :/

CafeMom Tickers
SamKlug
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM

You have no reason to be worried.  The dentist knows what he's doing.  Not only will you get the tooth pulled, but also he will give you antibiotics to take care of the infection.  I had to have a root canal done when I was preggo with my DD.  They literally put 7 x-ray jackets on me, numbed me locally, I didn't feel a thing, and all went great.  No harm done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)