• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it possible for your water to break from pushing to hard while going to the bathroom??

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:40 AM
  • 7 Replies
I'm 32 weeks and terrified of going into labor to begin with. Every time I have to go to the bathroom I start getting more nervous wondering if I'm going to make myself go into labor from pushing so hard. When you're in labor those are the muscles you use to push the baby out so it's only logical to assume I'd be doing something. I've read enough forums saying that you can't go into labor by pushing while using the bathroom but still. It makes me so nervous. And as I said, even though this will be my 4th child I'm so incredibly terrified to go through labor it's unbelievable. I wrote a message yesterday about my fears of labor and reasoning why. It's entitled "Why am I so terrified" if you're interested in reading that. I've had a very rough pregnancy and have been through cancer, surgery and other horrific things while being pregnant this time. Anyways though, that's my concern now. I know they say you can't but it still scared the poop out of me. :) Pun intended. Lol :)
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
otoole
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:45 AM
No you will just give yourself hemerroids from pushing to hard. And they are not fun.
TiffanyJanelle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:56 AM
You should try a stool softener that way you wont have to worry about pushing so hard or hemorrhoids. Luckily I have great bowel movements and not a single hemorrhoid yet.
StaciF
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm so sorry - I know it's stressful at the end. Pushing won't break your water unless your water was on the verge of breaking on it's own. So you are safe! But like the others said - you might get hemmroids if you don't already have them. A stool softener may be your best friend till baby comes. I'm pregnant with 5&6 so I get the fears of everything. You're doing great and in the home stretch!!
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
This exactly. Well said!

Quoting StaciF: I'm so sorry - I know it's stressful at the end. Pushing won't break your water unless your water was on the verge of breaking on it's own. So you are safe! But like the others said - you might get hemmroids if you don't already have them. A stool softener may be your best friend till baby comes. I'm pregnant with 5&6 so I get the fears of everything. You're doing great and in the home stretch!!
Devious103102
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Anything is possible but if it happens it's likely because you were already "ready" to go into labor anyway. 

InkedUpMom30
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Thank you for all the responses and great advice everyone! Unfortunately I have had my fair share of hemmroids. And I can't take stool softeners. :( They give me UNBEARABLY painful gas pains. I thank you all for helping me put my mind at ease though. It really doesn't matter how many children you have, every pregnancy is terrifying. No matter what I do, how hard I try, all I do is, stress and worry. My kids are my world. Being a mom is what I was meant to be so I may be a little over protective and a bit over the top and neurotic but it's only because I care so deeply. Thanks again all!!! I will definitely update and post pics once that baby is born. :)
beachlove512
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I had a bulging bag of water with my second and pushing from using the bathroom never broke it. It just randomly broke on its own. With my first, I had the worst constipation and pushing from that still didn't break it. The membrane is pretty darn tough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)