Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

being induced... what to exspect...what to bring to hoslital?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
Being induced at 39+3 already dilated to 1.5 on tuesday. going in monday afternoon and they will be giving me something to soften cervix then will induce the next day...that's all i know. not sure what meds they will use.

I qas woundering what to exspect and what to bring with me. i have a few changes of clothes for me. not sure how long they will keep me because with my first i had a natural problem free delivery...everything went smooth and awsome yet dr wanted me to stay for 4 nights after dd was born? I ended up signing a paper against dr orders to leave on day 3 because there was just no reason to stay... and i have babys bag packed. i plan to breast feed so won't need much there lol. please let me know if there was anything you forgot to bring and regreted!
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Pitocin is generally whats given to begin contractions.  We are only required to stay at least 24 hours after birth.  both of mine came early so I never had my bag packed.  Toothbrush, toothpaste, something to read, an outfit to leave in, an outfit to sleep in, an outfit for the baby.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

both of mine were born under 8 hours when i was induced.

Irene1923
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM
I was induced at 39 weeks (for medical reasons) and despite it being 23 hrs of labor I was only required to stay one night. I stayed two nights but that was only because my DD went to the NICU so they let me stay as long as my insurance allowed for a vaginal birth.

Half of what I packed I didn't use. I was glad I had packed some snacks (for DH during labor and for me after) and definitely phone chargers. Other than clothes and toiletries and a coming home outfit, I didn't need anything else. Good luck!
aliciajw1985
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM
I had to be induced with my first. I went in on a Thursday night and they used something called cervadil? I think to soften the cervix then pitocin to induce labor. One thing I wish I brought and will bring this time is my own pillow. Also something to read, phone chargers, toiletries and clothing.
annieb863
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:35 AM
I was induced with my first son, it's pretty straight forward except I wasn't given the cervidil for my cervix, I went in at 7am pit oxen was started at about 9am and my son was born at 5:41 that night. As far as what to bring with you, I seriously overpacked lol. Phone chargers, a camera, tooth brush and toothpaste and soap/shampoo if you don't want to use what they provide at the hospital. And of course clothes. Snacks isn't a bad idea, but my husband didn't eat anything I packed lol. And I took a book and puzzle book but during labor I had no desire to read or anything and afterward I was too tired, I just wanted to relax. Now, the whole time I was pregnant everyone kept saying "I hope you don't have to be induced, it's worse than natural labor" I had nothing to compare it to, but really once they started the pitocen the contractions started fairly quickly and were close and strong the whole time so I did get a epidural even though I was positive before hand that I wouldn't.

I'm currently 38 weeks with my second son and hoping to go into labor naturally.

Good luck and congrats on your new little one!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)