Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

'So you're going to have an abortion of course.'

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM
  • 169 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be Angry???

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 648

View Results

Went to my psychiatrist today

Let me preface this with I do have bipolar but it is well managed...

anyways went to see my psychiatrist today before my obgyn appointment and told him i thought i was pregnant... His instant response was "So youre going to have an abortion of course, right?" 

WRONG

I dont believe in abortion and he knows that but he was pushing for it... What right does he have to tell me to have an abortion??? Yes he is my psychiatrist and is worried about my mental state after becoming pregnant... but plenty of mothers have bipolar disorder... I would never have an abortion... EVER... and here he is telling me its best...

I'm angry... maybe its unjustified but i am...

Would you be??? 

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sixandus
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be upset maybe you should ask why he jumped to that conclusion. Does he not think you are ready for it
livingbutterfly
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:54 AM

No he doesnt think im ready for it because of my age and the fact that my BF and I havnt been togehter long...Im 22 years old and my bf and I are very close for a while but have only officially dated for about a month...

Quoting Sixandus: I would be upset maybe you should ask why he jumped to that conclusion. Does he not think you are ready for it

booaura
by Aurabella on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:02 AM
8 moms liked this
No, I wouldn't be upset. If I felt abortion wasn't an option at that time, I'd simply say so, and ask that they leave it be. People will always have an opinion about what you should do. My parents told me to abort my current pregnancy. I simply told that that wasn't an option for us, and to leave it be. I have had an abortion, and had people tell me I shouldn't, that I should continue the pregnancy. I simply said no, that wasn't an option, and had an abortion. As long as it is what YOU want, who cares what anyone else thinks you should do? You know you best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneck.crazy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM
15 moms liked this
I would be looking for a new psych doc. He was way out of place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sixandus
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM
10 moms liked this
I think it's important to understand his point of view and use logic and knowledge to show him why he is wrong. You obviously have worked hard to maintain your emotional health having a baby alone can put that in jeopardy but doing it while in an unstable relationship could be your breaking point. Pregnancy and having a child is exhausting and trying to build a relationhip with someone you barely know on top of that could be the breaking point. While in not saying to have an abortion I am saying that u need to be realistic with what you can handle.
Heather2001
by Heather on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I wouldn't be angry about it, but I'd explain that you don't believe in abortion and wouldn't have one under any circumstance.

N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'd probably find a new psychiatrist. 

LMMommy14
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM
6 moms liked this

If you've gained a certain amount of trust with this doctor it might be hard to find another one to start all over again with. But I would tell him flat out "That isnt an option so dont bring it up again. Lets just start talking about how to manage this while I'm pregnant." If he still keeps pushing the issue, then there is a problem and you should find another doctor.

ModestlyP31
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM
6 moms liked this

He is NOT allowed to say that to you, unless you brought up the subject. I actually believe he could get in alot of trouble trying to force his decisions on you. I would let him know that he was way out of his place bringing that up, and the next time you will have to report him. He could lose his job. THey are there to, yes help you, but also to listen and NEVER imput his personal opinions or choices on you.

rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM
3 moms liked this

I wouldnt be angry but would just explain that it's not an option you would go with and if he kept pushing it then I'd consider finding a new doctor.  When I told my psychiatrist I was having an unplanned pregnancy (I was 20 at the time) he asked what I was planning on doing and when I said I was keeping the pregnancy he helped me find medications that were pregnancy-safe but would still manage my symptoms with my mood-disorder.  I took Latuda and Zoloft through the pregnancy and my daughter was just fine and I'm doing the same with this pregnancy.

If he's a good doctor he'll put his opinion aside and help you manage the bipolar disorder throughout the pregnancy instead of pushing abortion.  While things are difficult to manage with balancing pregnancy and a disorder like that, it's definitely do-able and don't let anyone tell you it's not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)