Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Failed NST and biophysical US

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:11 AM
  • 32 Replies
I went into early labor around 34 weeks. Was given meds to stop it and sent on my way. I also failed my first NST that week.
Since then I have had 1-2 NST a week and failed them all unless the nurse sat and vibrated my stomach the entire time.
I did pass my first BP US 10/10.

Yesterday was my "37" week apt. They measured my belly and said he was measuring big but didn't say how big. I failed the NST as he only had 1 acceleration and it was during a coughing fit I had. They sent me for a growth and biophysical ultrasound. They tech seemed happy so I went home.
I got a call later from the office saying the doc wasn't happy with my US and I needed to get another done Friday. But past saying I failed parts she didn't explain much.

What are the chances if I fail again they will take baby?
How do you fail?
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You fail when the baby is not as responsive as they would like.  And it does mean they will likely take the baby early because if the baby is not responding well in the womb it is safer to be taken out and finish growing on the outside. 

kahlansmommy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Get your butt induced! You don't mess around with that!
I don't know your prior experience with pregnancies but that's not good.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM
This is our third living child and third csection.

I've been begging them to do something but they keep telling me it's normal. I've even gone to another hospital and they won't help.

Quoting kahlansmommy: Get your butt induced! You don't mess around with that!
I don't know your prior experience with pregnancies but that's not good.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM
I hope everything turns out ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Thank you. Today I go for blood work. I swear I just set up cots there it's 20-30 min drive 1way and I generally spend a majority of the day there. Tomorrow at 830am I go for a repeat US

Quoting kmqw229: I hope everything turns out ok!
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM
If baby still isn't responsive tomorrow, I think you should be prepared to deliver. I had lots of BPPs with my son, and this is pretty standard operating procedure. I always passed, but there are different levels of failing. If you just fail one or two, they do the further testing like this. Baby could just have an off day. Unless it was your fluid that failed for being too low; that was the one that they would have sent me straight to L&D for.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:54 AM
I've been failing the tests for his lack of movement since 34 weeks.
My DD failed 3 at 36 weeks and my water ended up breaking naturally. So we delivered but found her cord was around her neck and feet so when she moved she choked herself.

My BPU the first time with this one showed his cord is all around his head/neck area to the point they are extremely worried about a prolapsed cord and said if my water breaks it's an emergency csection instead of planned

Quoting JessiFaye: If baby still isn't responsive tomorrow, I think you should be prepared to deliver. I had lots of BPPs with my son, and this is pretty standard operating procedure. I always passed, but there are different levels of failing. If you just fail one or two, they do the further testing like this. Baby could just have an off day. Unless it was your fluid that failed for being too low; that was the one that they would have sent me straight to L&D for.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM

It depends on what the baby "failed." A BPP looks at a few different things,

1) Breathing movements

2) Tone

3) Movement

4) Amniotic fluid level

5) NST (optional)

Each component is worth 2 points, so a perfect BPP would be 10 points if you include the NST or 8 points if you don't. So it depends on your score, and a lot of it is up to the OB's discretion, especially since you're not full term yet. My baby failed 3 consecutive BPPs at 41 weeks and then I was induced.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM
I've been getting NST 2-3 x a week since 34 weeks because he keeps failing. This will be the 3rd ultrasound I've had for it.

Quoting LeapBaby123:

It depends on what the baby "failed." A BPP looks at a few different things,

1) Breathing movements

2) Tone

3) Movement

4) Amniotic fluid level

5) NST (optional)

Each component is worth 2 points, so a perfect BPP would be 10 points if you include the NST or 8 points if you don't. So it depends on your score, and a lot of it is up to the OB's discretion, especially since you're not full term yet. My baby failed 3 consecutive BPPs at 41 weeks and then I was induced.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM

If you fail, they need to take the baby. I'm surprised they're waiting several days to do another. If baby fails an NST and B, it's usually considered an emergency situation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)