Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Cytotec Induction

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM
  • 14 Replies
I posted this in another group but thought if repost here for more input.

I'm 40 weeks pregnant with baby boy #2 and inducing tonight with Cytotec. I've been at 1cm for a month and about 70% effaced as of last Thursday. With my first, my water broke at 2 am at 41+ weeks. I was given pitocin at 9 am and had my son at 5 pm. It was a very stress free and easy labor, so I'm hoping for something similar this time.

So, my question is for any mommas who were induced using Cytotec. I've read the good and the bad about inducing with Cytotec, but what was your experience?
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM

They tried two doses of it with me, and it did nothing. So basically 8 hours of my induction was a total waste. I went in two days before my due date at 1cm and 50%, and that's what I was at the end of it. Not sure how common that is... good luck tonight! 

KJ_on
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Do NOT let them use this drug on you! Reach the dangers! It is the worst and highly dangerous to both of you! http://blog.ctnews.com/elwood/2010/05/01/the-dangers-of-cytotec/

Before you say this is rare I live in a tiny town with only a couple obygn and one of them just lost a medical malpractice case against her due to inducing with THIS DRUG! Full placenta abruption that killed the baby girl and the mom had to be life log lighted and was in icu for several weeks!
joyful_mama
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM
This. Do not use this drug. It is bad news.

Quoting KJ_on: Do NOT let them use this drug on you! Reach the dangers! It is the worst and highly dangerous to both of you! http://blog.ctnews.com/elwood/2010/05/01/the-dangers-of-cytotec/

Before you say this is rare I live in a tiny town with only a couple obygn and one of them just lost a medical malpractice case against her due to inducing with THIS DRUG! Full placenta abruption that killed the baby girl and the mom had to be life log lighted and was in icu for several weeks!
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Cytotec is bad news. Yes it works well for some. But if you react badly to it, they can't turn it off and it can be completely disastrous. If you react badly to pit, they can turn off the drip and the effects usually dissipate pretty quickly.
Heather2001
by Heather on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Steer clear of Cytotec!! 

SaraKC0814
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I ended up having contractions that were too close and too regular to get Cytotec so whew! Dodged a bullet and didn't have to put up a fight.

Currently on pitocin with mild contractions, so everything is working out. Thanks for the advice mamas. :)
Blessed2585
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Praying for a safe and healthy delivery! 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I lost a childhood friend last year due to complications of a cytotec-induced labor. She had a catastrohpic uterine rupture. 

bethieboo88
by Bethany on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Wait isn't this the abortion pill??

Quoting Heather2001:

Steer clear of Cytotec!! 

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM

EVERYTHING I've seen points to Cytotec as being extremely dangerous--even deadly--to mother or baby.  In fact the label says do not use on pregnant women.  I don't know why doctors keep insisting on using it.

Why induce?  You are 40 weeks, gestation can be up to 42.  Just monitor.

There are better options if induction is medically indicated, not just because you are 40 weeks and tired of being pregnant.  Why put your child at risk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)