Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Telling my mother I'm pregnant! Advice!!!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok first off I just want to say that you all are awesome and have helped me on so many ways and I can't thank y'all enough!!

So...I am 23. I have a 2 year old. Was not married when I had my son but myself, my son, and his father had a great family life for about a year until we split. Won't go into details with that.

Well my boyfriend and I have been together a year and plan to get married soon. I got pregnant and had a miscarriage in February :( I told my mom about it later and after the sadness and emotion passed a little she had a talk with me about how birth control is 99% effective and of I get pregnant again without being married "she thinks that's just absolutely crazy" she said I do not want to be 23 and have 2 different babies with 2 different men and never been married. She said "I'm better than that" well...obviously not :(

I would like to add that while my boyfriend and I are of course nervous we are super excited and would like to be able to share the excitement with everyone else.

Any ideas on how I should break the news to my mom? So that instead of freaking out immediately she will be excited for me? I know she won't be angry but I think she's going to be upset and sad for me and that's not what I want! I bought a shirt for my son to wear that says "I'm not lion I've got big news" with a lion or course and on the back "I'm going to be a big brother" and would like to use that because she loves my son more than anything and I think involving him will help. I'm not trying to find a cutesy way to tell her just trying to find out what I should say! My nerves are taking over and I need to tell her soon because somehow in already starting to show at 6 weeks!
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RADmomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Just tell that while this isn't what you expected... It is what it is & you're making the best of it... You're excited & hope that once the shock wears off you hope she's excited as well
TwoLittleFrogs
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, your mom sounds a little old fashioned. You love your SO and you plan on getting married, so she should be happy for you. That being said, telling her in person with your son wearing the shirt is a cute idea, assuming that you want him to know so soon. Just do it ASAP and give your mom time to warm up to the idea. Good luck!

booaura
by Aurabella on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Just tell her. If marriage isn't something you want, that's fine. There is no need for marriage. If you are having multiple pregnancies because you can't use birth control correctly, that's different. If you were trying to get pregnant, own it. If you support your family on your own, there is no issue. Just sit her down and tell her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
24Mom2Be
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't know how to tell my mom either with our first. Grew up in a strict Christian home, wasn't married at the time. So we sat down and said, "mom, we have something we want to tell you."

Her: don't tell me your pregnant!

Me: we're getting married.... And having a baby!

Her: oh Michele........... I'm so excited

She had to think about it for a second, but she decided that accepting it and being happy for me was better.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Did you tell her yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lst0321
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Quoting kmqw229: Did you tell her yet?

Not yet! I am only 7 weeks so I am trying to wait until after my first ob appointment which is Thursday the 17th! Although I know with all my sickness and my awesome progesterone levels we have a healthy baby!
AbbyOregon
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM
I was so nervous to tell my mom! I'm pregnant with my first. And I'm not married but we are planning on it in the future (before we got pregnant).
I had confided in a close family friend my fears about telling my mom. She agreed to help me by calling my mom a couple hrs before I broke the news to let my mom know that I have something big to tell her that I need her support on. And that it was going to be hard to me to tell her. My friend never actually said I was pregnant.

My mom pretty much knew what I was going to say, but at least she had a couple hrs to prepare herself.

Over all it was positive. A week later I got a surprise in the mail of a fun pregnancy journal and some prenatal vitamins. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)