Shortly after this picture was taken, the doctor told Wyatt if he kept yanking on his tubes and managed to rip it out, she'd just put him back on the nasal canula again, so of course, he ripped it out and ended up on the nasal canula. He's on 4.5 pressure (we'll see if he can stay there) and around 50% oxygen right now.
He cleared the first infection from his blood, and he's still got the second infection in his lungs, the pneumonia, but it seems like it's slowly getting better, if him acting up again is any indication.
They'll be starting his feeds again tomorrow, if all goes well. Small tiny bits just to see if he tolerates it, and slowly work their way up. He's about 4lbs 4oz right now real weight (which is good, they got him really fat before his surgery so he could lose some weight with out major issues.)
We will see how the next week goes, if all goes week this week, at the 37w1d mark, i'll get to put him to the breast for the first time and see if he'll even take it. (Non-nutritive sucking) I'll empty it, then try to just let him suck while I hold him to see how he does.
If he shows interest, it's a good sign and we'll start getting him ready to nurse - I talked to the doctor about using a SNS system for feeds in order to make it easier on him as we go down the road of nursing him for more and more feeds once he's able to nurse to eat, not just suck an empty breast.
We also talked about lung complications, he may go home on oxygen if were unlucky, and a cpap machine if were super unlucky, but we'll try steriods first and see how far we can get his lungs in the next 3-4 weeks if he seems stagnated around 5 pressure over this week.
After he's doing better over the next week, we may try to move him to an open crib, he's big enough/old enough. We are still looking at sept for him coming home based on his lungs/eating... but we will see how things go over the next 2-4 weeks.
Right now, i'm just praying the next week goes well, so he can try to nurse for the first time. I just pray he'll be interested in trying, and not panic or freak out when he's allowed to try, or worse, reject me. :( I hope he'll accept it, and be interested in it, and we can work on getting him nursing so I have one less thing stress about when I bring him home. (The way he eats.) If he doesn't fight it, I can work on letting him nurse with the SNS system by pumping and supplementing my own milk so he doesn't have to work as hard while he grows and learns for a while.
on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM