Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Does one week really make that much difference?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM
  • 38 Replies
So even though every other test, NST, AFI, u/s and weight gain indicates my baby is perfectly normal and on course for his due date.

The midwives I see seem to freak out every time they do my fundal, because I'm big. Now they want me to be aware they may recommend inducing me at 39 weeks.

Really? Using the most inaccurate form of fetal measurement? Not to mention, is that one week really gonna make "the" difference?
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:21 AM

They may recommend whatever the heck they want but you can easily refuse.  Frankly, the one week will not make much difference except maybe a half pound in the baby's weight, which can easily be made up after birth.  I have had both my girls at 36 weeks with no problems, no time in the NICU, etc.

Brandibee_5
by 7/30/14 on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:12 AM
I was induced with my third because I was measuring small. Now that I look back on it, I should have refused. She weighed 6.7 lbs. not all that small. If you feel like the baby being big isn't a big deal then just refuse.
bookworm326
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

You can always refuse treatment. Don't allow yourself to be bullied.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM

That just seems silly. At 31 weeks, my baby measured 33 weeks 4 days on the ultrasound, estimated weight at 5 lbs 2 ounces, meaning he'll be a big baby, 8 to 9 pounds most likely, just like my other boys. I'd say don't be bullied into an early delivery if it's not what you want.

Mom2Just1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Since my 11 week ultrasound my baby is measuring a week behind.  My dr hasn't changed my due date or seem concerned.  We don't do inductions though so...

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

24Mom2Be
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:33 AM
At my 32 week growth u/s he was measuring 4lbs 12oz. I remember with my daughter the u/s I had a few days before said she was measuring 7lbs 5oz, she was born 6lbs 6oz 4 days later. So I naturally subtract a lob in my head.

Quoting Serabeth06:

That just seems silly. At 31 weeks, my baby measured 33 weeks 4 days on the ultrasound, estimated weight at 5 lbs 2 ounces, meaning he'll be a big baby, 8 to 9 pounds most likely, just like my other boys. I'd say don't be bullied into an early delivery if it's not what you want.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I think it really depends on the accuracy and skill of the person getting the measurements. My OB was pretty spot-on with my last two.

Quoting 24Mom2Be: At my 32 week growth u/s he was measuring 4lbs 12oz. I remember with my daughter the u/s I had a few days before said she was measuring 7lbs 5oz, she was born 6lbs 6oz 4 days later. So I naturally subtract a lob in my head.
Quoting Serabeth06:

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM
I never measured right
MaryJarrett
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Fundal height can be changed by so many different things like fullness of bladder and bowels, amount of amniotic fluid, position of baby, how you're positioned, etc. It is not an accurate measurement, and I wouldn't induce because of it or an ultrasound (also inaccurate). If you don't have anything else "wrong" (GD, or anything), I would let baby takes his/her own time. Good luck!
Decemberlov
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Most midwives will do what they can to keep from inducing....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)