Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What jobs will hire me while pregnant?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:46 AM
  • 22 Replies
I am almost 25 weeks along but very desperately need employment to help with our bills and it can no longer wait until after the baby is born.
I am only a high school graduate so I don't expect more than minimum wage, but what kind of places would even hire a pregnant woman as far along as I am??
PS I do have transportation and am in San Diego CA
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Any job you would otherwise be qualified for should hire you, pregnant or not. Basing a hiring decision on pregnancy is illegal. You may look into things like temp work, call centers, retail, things like that.

Fruhauf
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Well most retail type jobs make it a point to list every single physical thing you may be doing while working there (standing, walking, lifting, reaching etc.) and can avoid hiring you if they claim you wouldn't physically be able to do the job... So I'm also trying to think of what places can't really do that

Quoting Serabeth06:

Any job you would otherwise be qualified for should hire you, pregnant or not. Basing a hiring decision on pregnancy is illegal. You may look into things like temp work, call centers, retail, things like that.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM

That's still discrimination. They list job requirements so that you know what the requirements will be and can decide if you are qualified and able to do them, not so that they can decide for you or use that as a reason not to hire you. Unless you have a pregnancy complication or are high risk, there's no reason an employer could say that you can't stand, walk, lift, or reach a reasonable amount. I worked retail with my son right up until the week before I delivered.

Quoting Fruhauf: Well most retail type jobs make it a point to list every single physical thing you may be doing while working there (standing, walking, lifting, reaching etc.) and can avoid hiring you if they claim you wouldn't physically be able to do the job... So I'm also trying to think of what places can't really do that
Quoting Serabeth06:

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

Really any that you can physically do can hire you. But will they? Most likely not. 

No offense.

They cant legaly not hire you for that reason, but they can easily make up a reason to not hire you. KWIM? 

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I got a job at a tourism service at 16 weks pregnant. But my friend ran the office so ...

Best of luck!

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I worked retail up until I went into labor with my first in the middle of my shift. It wasn't easy standing all day, but it was doable.

Quoting Serabeth06:

That's still discrimination. They list job requirements so that you know what the requirements will be and can decide if you are qualified and able to do them, not so that they can decide for you or use that as a reason not to hire you. Unless you have a pregnancy complication or are high risk, there's no reason an employer could say that you can't stand, walk, lift, or reach a reasonable amount. I worked retail with my son right up until the week before I delivered.

Quoting Fruhauf: Well most retail type jobs make it a point to list every single physical thing you may be doing while working there (standing, walking, lifting, reaching etc.) and can avoid hiring you if they claim you wouldn't physically be able to do the job... So I'm also trying to think of what places can't really do that
Quoting Serabeth06:

Laura1427
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Call centers, clerical work of any kind, reception jobs, front desk at a hotel.

Quoting Serabeth06:

marieeve241
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Have you look into at home work??? Lots of parents still have problems with day care during summers!! You can charge a little less and offer to babysitt childrens you dont need to open a day care but you can at less help a little this way.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

lol The reason I got the week off before my delivery is because my manager and I became really good friends, and she told me, "I've done a lot of things, but I'm not delivering no babies! Go home, girl." (:

Quoting KREX0914:

I worked retail up until I went into labor with my first in the middle of my shift. It wasn't easy standing all day, but it was doable.

Quoting Serabeth06:

Quoting Serabeth06:

KREX0914
by Kristen-Danielle on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I just breathed through the contracts in between customers. It was an 18 hour labor. There were actually bets placed on if I would deliver at the register, my desk or the break room. I made it to the hospital, though.

Quoting Serabeth06:

lol The reason I got the week off before my delivery is because my manager and I became really good friends, and she told me, "I've done a lot of things, but I'm not delivering no babies! Go home, girl." (:

Quoting KREX0914:

Quoting Serabeth06:

Quoting Serabeth06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)