Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Manual Extraction of the Placenta question

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM
  • 41 Replies
With my last delivery after the baby had been delivered and they were cleaning her up the OB did something Id never experienced before, she reached her hand into my uterus and manually extracted my placenta. I had just given birth for the third time drug free and it was more painful than all of the births put together. About 3 months later I was so sick DH made me go to the dr where I was told I had a uterine infection that oddly presented without a fever. A round of antibiotics later I felt much better and concieved this baby 2 months later.

My question is, Has anyone else had this happen and did it effect anything during the following pregnancies and birth??? I'm not sure why she extracted mine like that, I wanted to read the notes but they messed up my chart and said I had a C-Section O.o one idiot doctor wanted to argue with me saying yes I did have a C-section lol pretty sure I know where that baby came out of! So I'm not sure why they even do this?

Any Input is Greatly Appreciated. Thank You!
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM

How long did she wait after birth to do that?  I mean, something like that shouldn't be done routinely or without just cause.  Typically, they should wait quite a while before attempting something like that.  =\

redneck.crazy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Wow. So she didn't give you a reason or ask? Just did it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMslady
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Maybe 10 minutes? Thats why I was hoping to see the notes, I wanted to know if there was a reason for it or not but it was in a hospital 5 hours away and after birth I never saw her again.

Quoting Heather2001:

How long did she wait after birth to do that?  I mean, something like that shouldn't be done routinely or without just cause.  Typically, they should wait quite a while before attempting something like that.  =\

RMslady
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM
No, she just did it. One second I was watching them clean up Chloe the next a hand was being shoved into me with zero warning It was awful.

Quoting redneck.crazy: Wow. So she didn't give you a reason or ask? Just did it?
smurfy88
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM
That's crazy, after I had my DD my dr just pushed on my belly and my placenta came out.
redneck.crazy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Geeze. Yeah...I'd be requesting my records.

Quoting RMslady: No, she just did it. One second I was watching them clean up Chloe the next a hand was being shoved into me with zero warning It was awful.

Quoting redneck.crazy: Wow. So she didn't give you a reason or ask? Just did it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMslady
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM
I delivered my placenta with no problems in the two previous deliveries. I'm wondering if that happening increases my risk of any issues in the next delivery. :/

Quoting smurfy88: That's crazy, after I had my DD my dr just pushed on my belly and my placenta came out.
sillycraftymama
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM
When I gave birth to my second child my Dr spent about 15 minutes trying to pull my placenta out because it was stuck. He explained what he was happening the entire time, but honestly I dont remember details, I was too busy focusing on my baby and husband. I had an epidural so it didn't hurt and I did not get sick afterwards.

My third baby was born 6 weeks ago. My pregnancy and birth were complication free.
RMslady
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM
i wanted to until I was informed I had had a C Section (which I didnt) according to my records. Do you think there would still be correct notes for it since they put me in as a C Section?

Quoting redneck.crazy: Geeze. Yeah...I'd be requesting my records.

Quoting RMslady: No, she just did it. One second I was watching them clean up Chloe the next a hand was being shoved into me with zero warning It was awful.

redneck.crazy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Yes. I would still get them. To make sure there us no other terrors either.

Quoting RMslady: i wanted to until I was informed I had had a C Section (which I didnt) according to my records. Do you think there would still be correct notes for it since they put me in as a C Section?

Quoting redneck.crazy: Geeze. Yeah...I'd be requesting my records.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)