Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How to respectfully decline an induction?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM
  • 87 Replies
1 mom liked this

My ob told me she doesn't let any patients go past 41 weeks. I was 42 weeks when I had my son (I think the dates were off though). If I get to 41 weeks, what are my rights and how do I respectfully decline induction? Due to insurance I cannot switch doctors so just want to make sure legally she can't drop me for declining for up to a week (I personally don't feel comfortable going past 42). I just feel like she spent so much time telling me how dangerous it was to go past 41 weeks and NO time telling me how dangerous induction can be ESP if your body isn't ready. I am shocked that I have to stick up for myself and my baby for the safest and healthiest option.

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
evilangel198431
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM
I'm going through the same.
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm...first I agree that is ridiculous they won't let you go past 41 weeks! I don't know much about how OBs work - how important to you is that your OB is the one to deliver you? I mean I'm thinking if they insist on inducing just don't show up lol. Go when you are actually in labor. Maybe that's terrible advice but I really do with you the best an hope it all works out the way you want! I fully support your desire to respectfully decline!
PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM
6 moms liked this

I'd be passive aggressive about it.  I'd stall her and tell her that date simply doesn't work or call and cancel it and then be really hard to reach by phone.

StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't mean it rude but that cracks me up your so honest about being passive aggressive!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I'd be passive aggressive about it.  I'd stall her and tell her that date simply doesn't work or call and cancel it and then be really hard to reach by phone.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I would simply tell her no. They cannot FORCE you. They can only pressure you.
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I would tell her that you looked more at your dates, and that you would be around 41 weeks versus the 42 weeks.  And, that you would wish to do ultrasounds and non-stress tests to check on making sure the placenta and baby continue to be happy.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Just let your OB know that you aren't comfortable consenting to this medical procedure before x date. They can't force you to have it done. However, keep in mind that just like you have the right to refuse treatment, if you refuse to follow a doctor's treatment plan or medical advice, they do have the right to not see you. I'm not sure about the timeline for OB's so close to delivery, but you may not have your OB deliver you. If they are treating you, they're taking responsibility for the health of you and baby. I'd be open and honest with the OB and try to make a plan together, because otherwise you could end up 42 weeks without an OB.

booaura
by Aurabella on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:42 AM
She can't make you. Just tell her no when she starts trying to induce you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
G-BabysMom
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM
U mm simply say thanks but no thanks. It's your body and you control what happens to it.
24Mom2Be
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM
You can just tell them no. But remember it's not always the safest option not to induce as well. I.e the placenta starts to degrade and can detach causing still birth, etc. I only say this because it happened to two friends of mine who waited. But it is probably very rare.

If your doctor wants to induce just make sure it is for the right reasons. I am having the same discussion, but they are talking about inducing me early for no real sound medical reasons.

Quoting delia42:

My ob told me she doesn't let any patients go past 41 weeks. I was 42 weeks when I had my son (I think the dates were off though). If I get to 41 weeks, what are my rights and how do I respectfully decline induction? Due to insurance I cannot switch doctors so just want to make sure legally she can't drop me for declining for up to a week (I personally don't feel comfortable going past 42). I just feel like she spent so much time telling me how dangerous it was to go past 41 weeks and NO time telling me how dangerous induction can be ESP if your body isn't ready. I am shocked that I have to stick up for myself and my baby for the safest and healthiest option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)