Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Glucose test 💉

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
So today my results came in from my Glucose test , well they said I do have gestational diabetes I'm so scared they want me to give myself injections which is going to be hard because I hate needles . I did cry because it's scary I never had this before so I'm like really nervous idk what I can and can't eat . It's just been a bad day for me :( .

Has anyone had gestational diabetes durning pregnancy if so did it go away after you delivered the baby ? Was it hard for you to give yourself injections ?
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

ask about taking Metformin... they may say no but can't hurt to ask

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:04 PM

My mom had it last year when she was pregnant with my sister.  She didn't have to do injections but she had to test her sugar like 3 times a day.

It was a pain in the butt, but she followed her diet and all was well with her and the baby.  It went away after delivery.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

LoveVenus
by Venus on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

My first test just came up a bit elevated.I took the 3hr testing last week and will find out if im fine or not.My dr told me there is no need to take injections as it does go away once you give birth.He said I would just have to change my diet.However,It wasnt extremely high just a bit by 2-3 points and because i'm high risk just want to make sure.How far along are you? Good luck mama!

Devious103102
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd ask about other options before doing the injections, mainly other medications you can try along with diet and testing before/after each meal.

tlynn28
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Normally they won't give u any meds for it unless ur sugar stays high all the time. Change ur diet and check your blood sugar 3 times a day. They will show you how to do that. Also with your diet absolutely no sugar this also means no juice. Limit your fruit intake and portion your carbs. Eat alot of meat, eggs, cheese and veggies. Its not as bad as you think as long as you do what your supposed too. I also have gestational diabetes so it was scary at first. They still have not put me on meds bcas I have been managing it.
tabitha26
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Quoting LoveVenus:

My first test just came up a bit elevated.I took the 3hr testing last week and will find out if im fine or not.My dr told me there is no need to take injections as it does go away once you give birth.He said I would just have to change my diet.However,It wasnt extremely high just a bit by 2-3 points and because i'm high risk just want to make sure.How far along are you? Good luck mama!

. 28 weeks tomorrow thank you
tabitha26
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Quoting tlynn28: Normally they won't give u any meds for it unless ur sugar stays high all the time. Change ur diet and check your blood sugar 3 times a day. They will show you how to do that. Also with your diet absolutely no sugar this also means no juice. Limit your fruit intake and portion your carbs. Eat alot of meat, eggs, cheese and veggies. Its not as bad as you think as long as you do what your supposed too. I also have gestational diabetes so it was scary at first. They still have not put me on meds bcas I have been managing it.
They called me today all the girl really told was no carbs so Im stressing on what I can really eat . Everything has carbs so I'm like totally clueless right now . I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the doctor hopefully he sees me even though I don't have an appointment .
tlynn28
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:44 PM
You can eat carbs just portion them out in each meal. Your body has to consume a certain amount of carbs a day to keep up with your calorie intake. Like for breakfast I will have 2 eggs, bacon, 1 piece of toast which counts as one carb and a small glass of milk which will count as my second carb. Then you can have snacks in between like yoplait lite yogurt, anything sugar free like pudding, jello, then for lunch you can eat a sandwich. If you like whole wheat bread its better for you. Pasta you can have regular pasta just portion to an ounce on your plate. They will probably give you a diet plan to go by which will tell you how many carbs to eat at each meal. You will get use to it but it is hard in the beginning. Also you can eat as late as you want so if you want a snack at 11:00pm you can have a snack as long as it's healthy.

Quoting tabitha26:
Quoting tlynn28: Normally they won't give u any meds for it unless ur sugar stays high all the time. Change ur diet and check your blood sugar 3 times a day. They will show you how to do that. Also with your diet absolutely no sugar this also means no juice. Limit your fruit intake and portion your carbs. Eat alot of meat, eggs, cheese and veggies. Its not as bad as you think as long as you do what your supposed too. I also have gestational diabetes so it was scary at first. They still have not put me on meds bcas I have been managing it.
They called me today all the girl really told was no carbs so Im stressing on what I can really eat . Everything has carbs so I'm like totally clueless right now . I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the doctor hopefully he sees me even though I don't have an appointment .
indiansfan213
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I got diagnosed with it with this pregnancy also. It has been a challenge, but I've been following what the dietician told me to do. So far my levels are good enough that I don't have to do injections. If you get sick of only water you can drink crystal light. It has zero carbs in that drink. As for food, you just have to limit your carb intake. I'm allowed a certain amount per meal and it's hard when you want something you can't have. I crave pizza and that's a no go. Like one slice is ever enough. If you need someone to talk to I would love to help. I don't know anyone really that has to do this diet either. 

tabitha26
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting tlynn28: You can eat carbs just portion them out in each meal. Your body has to consume a certain amount of carbs a day to keep up with your calorie intake. Like for breakfast I will have 2 eggs, bacon, 1 piece of toast which counts as one carb and a small glass of milk which will count as my second carb. Then you can have snacks in between like yoplait lite yogurt, anything sugar free like pudding, jello, then for lunch you can eat a sandwich. If you like whole wheat bread its better for you. Pasta you can have regular pasta just portion to an ounce on your plate. They will probably give you a diet plan to go by which will tell you how many carbs to eat at each meal. You will get use to it but it is hard in the beginning. Also you can eat as late as you want so if you want a snack at 11:00pm you can have a snack as long as it's healthy.

Quoting tabitha26:

Thank you so much it's helped :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN