Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"It's OUR news to tell!" DWIL

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 22 Replies

DH and I agreed to tell his parents this Friday (day after our first appointment). My greatest fear is that MIL will broadcast it all over social media as if it's her news. I feel helpless since all I can do is urge her not to say anything because it's still too ealy to tell EVERYONE.

I understand the excitement since it'll be her first grandbaby, but it's our first child. Plus, DH was hoping to tell his sister himself, but is positive his mom will call her first. Getting everyone together at once is even more of an impossibility.

I suppose I'm just venting, but do any of you have this worry about the news of your pregnancy leaking?

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Then don't tell her until you are ready for *everyone* to know... or make a big announcement yourself BEFORE she can.
HisUsmcWifey
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Then I wouldn't tell her first. Tell those people who you want to know directly from you, then move on to her.
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM

This was a big issue for us. Will she listen to you if you tell her not to tell people? My husband sat his mom down and told her, in no uncertain terms, that she was not to broadcast it until we made the announcement ourselves. She's a blabbermouth and addicted to Facebook, so we were a little nervous about it, but when she saw how serious he was, she respected our wishes. Same when our son was actually born. Obviously we told our parents right after he was here, but we didn't post on social media or tell anyone else until the next morning (he was born late at night), and she respected our wishes then, as well. Totally out of character for her, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

AustinsMommy007
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Then don't tell her until your ready for everyone else to know. May seem harsh but if she's telling everyone it's just going to upset you
LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Tell the sister first.  And make a big deal about how it is NOT for social media and please keep it to herself or she will never be given information again.

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I wouldn't tell them until your ready for everyone to know. Seriously, if she's like that, I'd have the FB announcement ready to go, tell her and then post it moments later. I wouldn't even give her a chance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this

Quoting kajira: Then don't tell her until you are ready for *everyone* to know... or make a big announcement yourself BEFORE she can.
Larsbug
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM

then I wouldn't tell her first...we only told people that we knew would keep their mouths shut.

Mom100WV
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

We're way past announcing our pregnancy, but I'm afraid mil will do it about the birth.  We're telling her upfront not to put anything on social media and not to tell anyone because then they may announce it before we have a chance to.  I have a large family that lives far away and I will kill mil if she makes any announcements before I have the chance to tell my family.  After that though, she's free to tell the world. 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I agree!!

Quoting Larsbug:

then I wouldn't tell her first...we only told people that we knew would keep their mouths shut.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)