Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Don't wanna tell you how to do your job, but...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
At my last appt monday 7/14 my doctor said my uterus was measuring much larger than it should be. I, being the control freak that I am, started measuring it myself every 2 days since and it has always been spot on. My next appt is on Tuesday and if she says it's measuring large again, would I look like the busybody patient trying to tell her doctor how to do her job if I told her that I think she's off? She does it really quick and I do it when my uterus is hard then mark the top with a marker to be precise. I know it's not that big of a deal but like I said, I'm a control freak, especially when it comes to my baby.
P.s. She told me exactly how she measures so I know I'm not doing it wrong.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
24Mom2Be
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I did the same thing the other day. They keep saying my fundal is about 4 weeks off but I measured it 2 days ago and I got 36cm and I was 35w4d... Ugh
Jordylee123
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM
How irritating! I know they say it's not that big of a deal but it still freaks us moms-to-be out a little bit!

Quoting 24Mom2Be: I did the same thing the other day. They keep saying my fundal is about 4 weeks off but I measured it 2 days ago and I got 36cm and I was 35w4d... Ugh
HIJKLM
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Maybe I'd ask her how she's coming to that conclusion. Doctors have a superiority complex and don't react well to being told they're wrong.

My doc kept saying I was measuring small. When I mentioned I thought she was wrong she started treating me differently, ignoring everything I said, to the extent of not noticing signs of preeclampsia. I went to L&D for extremely low blood sugar and what turned out to be high blood pressure and blood tests proved it was in fact preeclampsia, my liver was failing. They induced "5 weeks" early but DD markers all indicated she was 38 weeks, not 35.
Mom100WV
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

It's good to be your own health advocate if you have doubts about your doctor.  Just approach it respectfully, show her how you do it, and then follow-up with whatever questions you may have.  She's a professional and shouldn't get offended.  On the other hand, when you measure too large or too small, that gives them reason to do an insurance-covered ultrasound.  So sometimes their sloppy work pays off.  ;)

Mom100WV
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Good lord!  I'd consider reporting her to the medical board.  That's either pure stupidity or complete negligence on her part.

Quoting HIJKLM: Maybe I'd ask her how she's coming to that conclusion. Doctors have a superiority complex and don't react well to being told they're wrong. My doc kept saying I was measuring small. When I mentioned I thought she was wrong she started treating me differently, ignoring everything I said, to the extent of not noticing signs of preeclampsia. I went to L&D for extremely low blood sugar and what turned out to be high blood pressure and blood tests proved it was in fact preeclampsia, my liver was failing. They induced "5 weeks" early but DD markers all indicated she was 38 weeks, not 35.

b1the1change
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM
My doctor told me to take hot baths to fix a cyst I had that ended up being a major life threatening infection that had to be cut out during emergency surgery at 22 weeks. So yeah. I know what its like to have an idiot doctor
HIJKLM
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM
I did complain to my insurance company but with a baby now I don't have the energy to pursue it. I think she thought I was a hypochondriac because when she couldn't figure out what was wrong with me I turned to google and self diagnosed. When she wouldn't listen to my self diagnosis I changed my medication dosing on my own. And surprise! I got better. I think that hurt her pride a little.

Quoting Mom100WV:

Good lord!  I'd consider reporting her to the medical board.  That's either pure stupidity or complete negligence on her part.

Quoting HIJKLM: Maybe I'd ask her how she's coming to that conclusion. Doctors have a superiority complex and don't react well to being told they're wrong. My doc kept saying I was measuring small. When I mentioned I thought she was wrong she started treating me differently, ignoring everything I said, to the extent of not noticing signs of preeclampsia. I went to L&D for extremely low blood sugar and what turned out to be high blood pressure and blood tests proved it was in fact preeclampsia, my liver was failing. They induced "5 weeks" early but DD markers all indicated she was 38 weeks, not 35.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I'd just leave it alone. It's something that can actualy fluctuate depending on how baby's laying, your fluid intake and other factors, so she may be getting correct measurements for when she gets them, and measuring bigger isn't a major deal, I measured at least 2 weeks and up to 6 weeks ahead with my son. 

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I would just ask her to show you how she gets that number and show her how you're measuring also just in case there's an error anywhere. I wouldn't think she would be offended it's your baby after all. The Physicians i worked for LOVED teaching the MAs and always wanted to give you as much info as possible to help the patients

funny_girl3
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM
I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and I was induced "early" at 37 weeks. But my son was born weighing 9 lb 12 oz. My doc insisted that his measurements and my ultrasound said I was early, but my own calculations put me at 39 weeks. He refused to listen to me.

Quoting HIJKLM: Maybe I'd ask her how she's coming to that conclusion. Doctors have a superiority complex and don't react well to being told they're wrong.

My doc kept saying I was measuring small. When I mentioned I thought she was wrong she started treating me differently, ignoring everything I said, to the extent of not noticing signs of preeclampsia. I went to L&D for extremely low blood sugar and what turned out to be high blood pressure and blood tests proved it was in fact preeclampsia, my liver was failing. They induced "5 weeks" early but DD markers all indicated she was 38 weeks, not 35.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)