Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping question

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok so my two boys were both formula fed. I have epilepsy and never thought I could breast feed because of my medications. A few weeks ago my Obgyn said my med is one of the safest and should be fine. So I'm thinking about pumping for a while at first not only to save money but bc I know it's healthier. So any advice or tips on pumping?? Thanks! :)
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Its best to start with baby on breast. Pump later, baby removes milk better then a pump and you will need baby to start so your supply will stay up. But if you are a sahm, i wouldnt pump at. All
Pipersmom1988
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM
pumping is a lot of work and time consuming but worth it. I rent a good one from the hospital. definitely keep nipple cream on standby lol and breastpads I had to use rags because I would leak so bad at times. I'm definitely going to do it again with this baby if I can't breastfeed again.
momtotwo08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Thanks! I'm a sahm will definitely consider it!!

Quoting hismommy2010: Its best to start with baby on breast. Pump later, baby removes milk better then a pump and you will need baby to start so your supply will stay up. But if you are a sahm, i wouldnt pump at. All
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM
This
Baby gets so much more milk out then a pump.
You could always nurse then pump after or nuts one side and pump the other.

Pumping in a lot kf work and you have to stick to a strict schedule if your only pumping. Invest kn a really good pump.
The breastfeeding group jas great advice.

Quoting momtotwo08: Thanks! I'm a sahm will definitely consider it!!

Quoting hismommy2010: Its best to start with baby on breast. Pump later, baby removes milk better then a pump and you will need baby to start so your supply will stay up. But if you are a sahm, i wouldnt pump at. All
MMerrill
by Melissa on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM

If you are a SAHM, you should breastfeed instead of pumping.  Exclusively pumping is NOT fun.

You have to pump, feed the baby, wash your pump parts, pump to have milk for when you are out...etc, etc.  Rather than just sticking the baby to your breast and then being done.  Plus many women don't respond to a pump the same as they do their baby, so that could mean less milk.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

momtotwo08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there was that much work put into pumping. I am a sahm and am hardly away from my kids so breast feeding would work. I know this sounds silly but does it hurt?

Quoting MMerrill:

If you are a SAHM, you should breastfeed instead of pumping.  Exclusively pumping is NOT fun.

You have to pump, feed the baby, wash your pump parts, pump to have milk for when you are out...etc, etc.  Rather than just sticking the baby to your breast and then being done.  Plus many women don't respond to a pump the same as they do their baby, so that could mean less milk.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah pumping is a pain.  It's ok to do it every now and then if you end up going back to work, but exclusively pumping sucks!

Breast feeding does hurt for some people until you get used to it.  Your nipples can get a little sore or cracked, but they make cream to put on them and after a while they toughen up!

Honestly, breast feeding is an amazing feeling and well worth it.  It's an awesome bonding experience.

Quoting momtotwo08: Wow, I didn't realize there was that much work put into pumping. I am a sahm and am hardly away from my kids so breast feeding would work. I know this sounds silly but does it hurt?
Quoting MMerrill:

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
I have bought everything and was already to pump until i read this post....guess i will not be pumping as much as i thought.
meagan517
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I will be exclusively pumping. My husband loves to bottle feed our kids so I can get more sleep. I have never nurses simply because I don't want my kids eating from my boob. Just personal preference. There are lots of ways to produce more milk. Plenty of fluids, oatmeal, almonds and lots of others. Massage in a circular motion while pumping. Make sure when you pump that you do so every two hours during the day and every three at night. I pumped the first year of my twins life and it's worth it.
momtotwo08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah that's why I was considering pumping.... So dh can help feed her too but she would still be getting my milk.

Quoting meagan517: I will be exclusively pumping. My husband loves to bottle feed our kids so I can get more sleep. I have never nurses simply because I don't want my kids eating from my boob. Just personal preference. There are lots of ways to produce more milk. Plenty of fluids, oatmeal, almonds and lots of others. Massage in a circular motion while pumping. Make sure when you pump that you do so every two hours during the day and every three at night. I pumped the first year of my twins life and it's worth it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)