Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can I get fired for being pregnant ?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have been working in an ice cream shop for almost 6 months I just found out that I'm 6 weeks pregnant can they fire me for that one girl got pregnant and they told her to stop working is that legal?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovleopards
by Elyssia on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM
No it's not legal, but they could find other reasons to fire you
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Its not legal but they can find another reason to fire you.
Gotta love "right to work" states
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Legally, no. Pregnancy is protected by federal law from employment discrimination. However, if you live in an at-will work state, they can fire you without giving any reason whatsoever, or they can find another reason to put on the slip if they fire you. Unless someone actually says they're firing you for pregnancy, there's very little you can do to stop them.

mommy2bfort
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I haven't told no one from work that I'm pregnant yet I want to work till 5 months unless doctor tells me to stop sooner its not that hard just serving and cleaning changing the ice cream is since its heavy we will see I don't want to put my baby at risk for a stupid job
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM
I usually dont tell an employer until 6 weeks. But iv never been fired for it. I worked up until literally the day before labor with my first two. I was a sahm with my third.

If its an at will state they can fire you for anything and not tell you. Like a pp said. Unless they state it os pregnancy then there isnt much you can do.
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM
You can always get a note from dr stating you cant liftmore than x#s

Quoting mommy2bfort: I haven't told no one from work that I'm pregnant yet I want to work till 5 months unless doctor tells me to stop sooner its not that hard just serving and cleaning changing the ice cream is since its heavy we will see I don't want to put my baby at risk for a stupid job
Krueger
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I got hired at target at 20 weeks pregnant. Let them know you can do the job and you hopefully will be alright.
mommy2bfort
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice its been really helpful I will ask the doctor for a note
Mommynwife26
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Don't tell them you are pregnant...you don't legally have to unless your job would directly endanger your baby or you. The only reason I was more than open about my pregnancy was because I knew they wouldn't care, in fact they hired a woman while she was pregnant. If I had felt like it could be a problem with them I wouldn't have said a word.
TiffanyJanelle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:37 AM
You can't fire a pregnant woman and its a new law saying its illegal to discriminate against pregnant woman in the work place I saw this on the news earlier this week they also said something about breastfeeding to. On fox 2 or local 7 not sure which one. Maybe thid is only in Michigan but yea you should look into this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)