Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding and periods

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:53 AM
  • 7 Replies
I went to a baby shower a couple weeks ago and there was a lactation consultant there. She has three kids none over the age of four and she breastfed all of them. She told everyone that every since she startec breastfeeding she hasn't had a period. Another woman in the room said she doesn't get them either she just spots from now and then. The lactation consultant said she had met plenty of woman who breastfeed full time that dont have periods anymore.

So my question is Is there anyone who hasn't had a period since you've started to full time breastfeeding? The lactation consultant also said its different for every woman.
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mss119
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM
I nursed my four year old until she was just over 2 years old, I didn't get my period back until she was 18 months old.
schultzal
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM
My period returned when my nursling was 19 months.
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM
I got mine at 9 months. But I bf till she was almost 2
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM

With all my kids, I didn't start a period again until they were weaned down to 2 times a day. So I got between a year and two years of no periods after delivering each.

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I didn't get my period until my son was 9 months old while exclusively breastfeeding.

With my daughter, I was about 6-9 months before I had a real period.

However, even with a period, I'm not nessecarily fertile, just because you bleed, or ovulate, there's more to take into account - if your leutal phase is shorter then 11ish days, you won't be able to get pregnant, sometimes after your fertility starts returning, it takes more then 1-2 cycles before it works enough that your fertile and can get pregnant.

You can also have break through bleeding with out ovulation and you can ovulate and not nessecarily bleed either.

I nursed my daughter for about 3 years and it took 2 1/2 years of actively trying to get pregnant.

I'm exclusively pumping this time around (one twin died, and the remaining twin is still in the nicu) and I've spotted/bleed every 3ish weeks but i'm pretty sure i'm not ovulating.. I think it's just hormones.

army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM
With my oldest I breastfed and was on the mini pill and I still had my period every month. With my 2 year old I had no period after he was born until he was 8 months old. I also breastfed him but I was not on the mini pill.
amberNewman0213
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM
My period returned at 5 months! Ugh I was so mad. And I only nurse. Never supplement and never give bottles ever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)