Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

how likely is a false negative blood test? have you had one?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM
  • 18 Replies
Long story short
30Day cycle every month since 15
Last cycle was only 21 days and was short
Now it's been 35 days and no period
Nauseous for last couple weeks
Breast leakage
Lower abdominal dull cramps
Blood test on day 31 of cycle, neg
Nurse Says to wait a week and then do another blood test, but i thought it was extremely accurate so why test again?

Have you got a false negative blood test? Seems ridiculous to me but i ask in this group since you are All Pregnant
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
florallove92
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Did they tell you what exactly your levels were? 5+ is "pregnant" but some doctors/labs wait til your hit 25 to be consider pregnant with the possibility of proper progression. In my experience the one lab told me they don't consider it until 75

Mrs_W
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM
No, they just said negative. It's Kaiser, idk what they go by

Quoting florallove92:

Did they tell you what exactly your levels were? 5+ is "pregnant" but some doctors/labs wait til your hit 25 to be consider pregnant with the possibility of proper progression. In my experience the one lab told me they don't consider it until 75

Larsbug
by Laura on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM

it's pretty unlikely to get a false negative on blood work, I see you said Kaiser, and if your Kaiser is anything like the one in our state RUN! Go somewhere else, like planned parenthood and pay out of pocket.

florallove92
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I'm not sure what that is, I'm in Canada. They don't tell us positive or negative here, just the result and what to go by when they give the #. Ahh, good luck though!

Quoting Mrs_W: No, they just said negative. It's Kaiser, idk what they go by
Quoting florallove92:

Mrs_W
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Idk how it is anywhere else but I'm really concerned that I'm vomiting and my periods late, they seem unconcerned

Quoting Larsbug:

it's pretty unlikely to get a false negative on blood work, I see you said Kaiser, and if your Kaiser is anything like the one in our state RUN! Go somewhere else, like planned parenthood and pay out of pocket.

booaura
by Aurabella on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Blood work is accurate. It could be that your levels were very, very low, but high enough to possibly show a pregnancy, so a repeat is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:51 AM

It could be a weird cycle..you could have a virus...being sick can cause your period to be late

If you've been nauseous for weeks your blood work would have come back positive...so if it came back negative you are most likely not pregnant...

Did you try a pee test at home?

Tricia737
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM
I had a false blood test done. And I'm now 24 weeks and 6 days pregnant. It came back negative so I decided to take another pregnancy test the next day and those two pregnancy tests came back positive.
Mrs_W
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:13 PM
How late were you with the negative blood test?

Quoting Tricia737: I had a false blood test done. And I'm now 24 weeks and 6 days pregnant. It came back negative so I decided to take another pregnancy test the next day and those two pregnancy tests came back positive.
Mrs_W
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM
I'm going to take one soon if still no period.

I just know with my son I found out at 4w6d, no blood test, just a positive home test and an ultrasound the same day.

I was nauseous, fatigued, sore boobs, i thought it was period symptoms.

Ive heard the qual blood tests are as good as hpts because it's yes or no and pending the lab, I use kaiser, the hcg level could have to be as high as 25 to 50 to 75

Blah, hopefully I'll know more soon

Quoting kelly617:

It could be a weird cycle..you could have a virus...being sick can cause your period to be lateIf you've been nauseous for weeks your blood work would have come back positive...so if it came back negative you are most likely not pregnant...Did you try a pee test at home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)