Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shower Dilemma

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

So, I had 2 Baby Showers with my first son nearly 10 years ago.  It was no question come Baby #2 that I would have another.  I actually had 3 small showers (between divorce and work).  Lukas was born April 2013, nearly 8 years after my older son.  We had nothing (donated to a needy family) left from my older son.  Half of the stuff went to his dad and some was donated or sold.  

Anyways... Before I was pregnant, my sil was pregnant and I mentioned throwing her a sprinkle.  I wanted to do something for her (I wasn't around for her first son).  Her boys are about 5 years apart.  I thought something simple, not a lot of people, just a luncheon.  We did have the party but my other sil went off about how you only get one shower and blah blah blah.  

My question is... Who made this one shower rule?  We celebrate the pregnancy of one baby but not the rest?  My lttle one is now 16 months (will be 21 months when baby #3 arrives).  My sister (best friend) wants to have a small tea and lunch baby sprinkle if I am having a girl.  It will be our first girl and my sister and I are as girly as they come!  LOL!  If it's a boy, she was thinking of having a diaper shower with invites going to men and women.  A simple chili dinner with close friends and family and all we are asking for is diapers and wipe.  

What are your thoughts?

~Robyn

expecting babybaseballtoddler boy

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveNaCupcake
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's a stupid rule. I've had at least one shower for each of my babies. For me it's all about celebrating the new baby! It's been 5 years since my last baby and we had thought we were done so we have nothing for him, my mom has already planned a shower and so has a friend.

I say have a shower and enjoy the new baby with all your friends and family!
Mrs0812
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM

That's how I think of it.  Why are we only celebrating being pregnant the first time?  And I am a scrapbooker so I want all of my babies scrapbooks to have those photos.  

I even told my sister we could plan it together and hold it at my house (it's bigger and has an open floor plan).  Plus then, if there are gifts, I don't have to move them to my house.  LOL!

RADmomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm pregnant with #3... We will have a shower with this baby too.... In my family every baby gets a small shower. Nothing extravagant but a get together if close family & friends to celebrate a new life & family member
Mrs0812
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I don't want anything extravagent.  No games.  Just a get together with family and friends!

Devious103102
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Its a dumb rule. In our families they throw a shower for each child regardless of sex/age gap. I'm the only one who hasn't, I declined it with ds2 (they're always surprises but I said no in advance) with dd3 it just didn't happen. With dd4 and ds I was too far from the family.
mamashealovekin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a shower with my first. Had a diaper shower for my second because they were so close together so we had everything. It's been almost 8 years since my last so I had another shower for my new baby girl. I'm 33 weeks. Hey if someone wants to throw you one then do it, I would and did.
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's s dumb rule
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM

It different where you go.

My area you just have one for your first and if you have the opposite sex or they are far apart in age. I only had one with my first and never saw a reason for my other two.

Everyone has to do what feels right to them.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:22 PM

To hell with the nay sayers- life is meant to be celebrated!

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a really stupid rule. In my family we feel like every baby should be celebrated before they are born so even if we don't do an actual shower we will do a sprinkle or something like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)