Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to get fixed or not get fixed that is the question

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am married, 23 and preg with my 2nd child. I have been thinking about it for some time now and i was just curious as to what you ladies would think. I am very seriously thinking about getting my tubes tied when i have this child. I have discussed it with my husband. We are both very ok with the idea. I know i am young and some may say dont because you might change your mind. Well yes. I realize that. we have discussed that aspect as well. My husband is adopted and i was told i couldn't have kids when i was younger. So when we first started talking about children we had decided when we could get the money to adopt we would adopt a child. Neither of us want to have any more children untill we are much better off. So if we wanted another down the line we'd really like to adopt a child.

So what do you ladies think?

If you have thought about it as well or know anyone who has and want to share anything about it feel free.

we rock

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveNaCupcake
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I say if you have ANY doubt about it, don't do it. But if you have NO doubts then go for it! This is our fourth and hubby will be getting "fixed" after we have him, but we too have decided we will someday adopt.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Ask your doctor, in a lot of places you have to be at least 25yrs old or have 3 children
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM

You can't make that decision until you're a minimum of 25 years old where I am from, which makes sense as the part of your brain that processes long term consequences doesn't fully develop until you are 25 years of age.  Basically what I'm saying is it might sound like a good idea now, very clearly you've put in a lot of thought, but you still have growing to do & you may change your mind.  You just don't know what the circumstances will be down the road.

I would unquestionably wait until you're older to make that kind of a decision.

Furthermore, it may be worth consideration to have him get tied/snipped.  This is something that will have a similar effect, doesn't involve major abdominal surgery, and is reversable.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I would say that if you're sure it's what you want, go for it. If you have any doubts at all, look into long-term birth control options like the copper IUD. I'm 24, this is baby #4 for me, and I'm already scheduled to have my tubes tied when this pregnancy is over. Neither my husband or I want more children than what we have, I would like to start my career once the kids are old enough, and it's just time to close the "fertile" chapter of our lives. He offered to get a vasectomy, but it makes more sense to me for me to just get my tubal done in the hospital after my son is born. I love and trust my OB, the visit is already covered under insurance, and it'll be done and over with. If he got a vasectomy, we'd have to wait and save for it because his insurance doesn't cover it, so I'd end up getting an IUD again, just doesn't make sense to drag out birth control and put it on the back burner when I could just go ahead and have the sterilization procedure that day.

Mom2Just1
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM
My husband is getting a vasectomy.
Bamsmom2012
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I'm only on number 2 but this is exactly how we feel.

Quoting Serabeth06:

I would say that if you're sure it's what you want, go for it. If you have any doubts at all, look into long-term birth control options like the copper IUD. I'm 24, this is baby #4 for me, and I'm already scheduled to have my tubes tied when this pregnancy is over. Neither my husband or I want more children than what we have, I would like to start my career once the kids are old enough, and it's just time to close the "fertile" chapter of our lives. He offered to get a vasectomy, but it makes more sense to me for me to just get my tubal done in the hospital after my son is born. I love and trust my OB, the visit is already covered under insurance, and it'll be done and over with. If he got a vasectomy, we'd have to wait and save for it because his insurance doesn't cover it, so I'd end up getting an IUD again, just doesn't make sense to drag out birth control and put it on the back burner when I could just go ahead and have the sterilization procedure that day.

mamatink7
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM

personally i would not. you never know once both in school you could have more. it is all up to you but you do not want to do anything right away just so you have time to think things out-things could change when you see the little ones eyes

good luck mama

Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM
I wouldn't do it at your age. I would do an IUD and use condoms so you are protected but nothing permanent. Your world will look very different in 5-10 years. Maybe you won't have anymore kids but at least you still have the option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carriec1982
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
I wouldn't I'm 32 had a tl at 23... just paid 7000 for a tubal reversal. Thank god it worked! We are now 16 weeks pregnant with #3
Bamsmom2012
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Mind me asking why you got it reversed.

Quoting carriec1982: I wouldn't I'm 32 had a tl at 23... just paid 7000 for a tubal reversal. Thank god it worked! We are now 16 weeks pregnant with #3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)