Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section birth plan

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM
  • 14 Replies
This will be my 5th and final c-section. I've always had a pleasant experience with the doctors and staff but this time I want to be able to bond with baby right away. I feel like c-section moms typically get the short end of the stick when it comes to holding baby/breastfeeding baby right away.

I've typed up a birth plan and I was hoping for some advice from all moms. Is there anything I should add or take away? I don't want to be too 'crunchy' but I do want certain things.

I'm copying and pasting from mobile so it may look thrown together.

Wilkerson’s Birth Plan

My husband and I are looking forward to sharing our final birth experience with you. We respectfully request the following procedures during my planned cesarean, assuming that my baby and I are healthy at the time of delivery and are not experiencing any unforeseen complications

We understand that there may be situations in which our choices may not be possible, but we hope that you’ll help us move toward our goals as much as possible to make this birth a sacred experience. We would like to be informed of any procedures in advance, and to be allowed the chance to give our informed consent. Please feel free to ask any questions or comments. Thank you!

Delivery

* I would like my arms unrestrained so I’m able to touch my baby

* I would like the screen lowered so I’m able to see the birth of my baby

* I would like baby to be placed on my chest immediately after being evaluated by the nursing staff in the OR

* While Dr. Bohman finishes surgery I will ask that her father be with her at all times.

* During this time I ask that she does not receive any pacifiers or bottle feedings such as formula or sugar water.

Post-OP Recovery

* I would like my daughter to be brought back to me immediately during this time, as skin to skin contact and breastfeeding is extremely important for mom and baby during the first hour of baby’s life.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to discuss them with us.

Thank you for working with us to help make this experience as good as it can be!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM

sounds good but i dont know much about csections

.PinkHart.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM
My hospital will not leave your arms unrestrained on the table. Period. Something about safety (in case mom panics) and the sterile field. They just recently changed their policy to allow moms to have and hold baby while in recovery.
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM

The after birth evaluations can be done while baby is on you, and those that can't (ie: weight) can certainly wait without any "damage" being done.

Your husband should be able to do immediate skin to skin with your child instead of you.

Also, if you're hoping to assist the bonding & breastfeeding ensure that they aren't taking your baby and bathing them!  You, or your husband, can take a cloth and wipe any blood off if you choose... but the vernix is important, not having a stranger wash your baby is important, and not losing the natural scents & not being exposed to soaps is also important.

MrsWilk32
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM
I will do more research on our hospital policies to see what I can find out. I can't believe I haven't looked into that yet!

Quoting .PinkHart.: My hospital will not leave your arms unrestrained on the table. Period. Something about safety (in case mom panics) and the sterile field. They just recently changed their policy to allow moms to have and hold baby while in recovery.
.PinkHart.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I would. Bc all hospitals operate different. That is just the reasoning I was given as to why they have the policy about restraints. Many moms, especially those who plan to bf, have complained about that and not being allowed to have baby in recovery. They changed the baby in recovery policy for good reasoning, but won't budge on the or arm restraints.

Quoting MrsWilk32: I will do more research on our hospital policies to see what I can find out. I can't believe I haven't looked into that yet!

Quoting .PinkHart.: My hospital will not leave your arms unrestrained on the table. Period. Something about safety (in case mom panics) and the sterile field. They just recently changed their policy to allow moms to have and hold baby while in recovery.
MrsWilk32
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Great advice! Thank you so much. I will be adding all of that.

Quoting MamaBearEH:

The after birth evaluations can be done while baby is on you, and those that can't (ie: weight) can certainly wait without any "damage" being done.

Your husband should be able to do immediate skin to skin with your child instead of you.

Also, if you're hoping to assist the bonding & breastfeeding ensure that they aren't taking your baby and bathing them!  You, or your husband, can take a cloth and wipe any blood off if you choose... but the vernix is important, not having a stranger wash your baby is important, and not losing the natural scents & not being exposed to soaps is also important.

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Sounds good to me.

I had a csection in order to remove a large cyst and my right ovary/tube.. my arms were not restrained, they did not formula feed baby... but I was not able to have baby on my chest while in the OR because of how much they had to open me up to get the cyst out.. 

They did let me see him and touch him, he was having an issue getting his temp normal so the nurse took baby and hubby back to my recovery room for them to do skin to skin while my doctor took out the cyst/tube/ovary and closed me up. 

:) 

Just make sure you let the doctor operating know all of your wishes and you should be fine. My doctor and I discussed my entire procedure at every check up I had since Feb lol. 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Hunter Xavier:--:June 27th 2014:--:7 Pounds 1 Ounce:-  -:My little fighter baby:-

<3 

baby development

MrsWilk32
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Thank goodness I have a very open minded doctor. Him and his wife had 6 children so luckily he knows how this whole thing works about making mom happy. Lol

My next appointment with him is Monday so we will definitely be going over it.

Quoting iHEAVENn:

Sounds good to me.

I had a csection in order to remove a large cyst and my right ovary/tube.. my arms were not restrained, they did not formula feed baby... but I was not able to have baby on my chest while in the OR because of how much they had to open me up to get the cyst out.. 

They did let me see him and touch him, he was having an issue getting his temp normal so the nurse took baby and hubby back to my recovery room for them to do skin to skin while my doctor took out the cyst/tube/ovary and closed me up. 

Just make sure you let the doctor operating know all of your wishes and you should be fine. My doctor and I discussed my entire procedure at every check up I had since Feb lol. 

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:25 AM
That's awesome ☺
Good luck!

Quoting MrsWilk32: Thank goodness I have a very open minded doctor. Him and his wife had 6 children so luckily he knows how this whole thing works about making mom happy. Lol

My next appointment with him is Monday so we will definitely be going over it.

Quoting iHEAVENn:

Sounds good to me.

Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a labor nurse and where I work we restrain arms just until baby is born and then you can hold and even nurse in the OR.

Just ask!

Quoting MrsWilk32: I will do more research on our hospital policies to see what I can find out. I can't believe I haven't looked into that yet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)