Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrified I'll get PPD...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

For some reason I'm TERRIFIED to get post partum depression. I didn't have it with my first, and I don't remember being freaked out about it but I'm scared I'll get it...

Fiance travels for work. He's taking the first two weeks after her birth off, and when he goes back to work my mom is saying she's going to come stay and help me for his first trip. So I'm going to have people around, but it still freaks me out. Anyone else have this fear?

*background* I was diagnosed with depression at 15 but it is not so bad anymore that I have to be on meds. I just get the lethargic/sad aspect, never been suicidal. But I get anxiety at the drop of a hat...

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Avetay
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Make sure your doctor knows all of this. I jad ppd with both my kids. I left the hospital after having my second with a script for antidepressants.
Good luck
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly hun with you having a history of depression I would go ahead and talk to your doctor about it.  

Larsbug
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

you need to talk to your doctor, it's a very real possibility with your history

Just-looney
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I had postpartum depression with my first two babies. It was scary the first time, I was 19 years old and knew nothing about it. I was freaked out. With my second it was like, hey I know whats going on lets treat it and move on. I'm 33 weeks with twins now (9 years after my second was born) and I am terrified I'll have it again. I have way to much to worry about and PPD on top of it will be awful. But I'm gonna take it one day at a time and deal with it if its there. If you know what to watch out for (and I didn't with my first, I thought I was going to the insane asylum) then it shouldn't be as bad.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I had debilitating, soul-crushing PPD with my first two kids. I didn't have it the third time (in fact, i have been completely depression-free since her birth). 

There's no guarantee. Just know the signs, have a support system for after the baby arrives, and then be ready to ask your OB/midwife for help at the first signs of ppd. 

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you ever had your iron levels checked?  Low iron can cause a lot of symptoms like that, and being pregnant your levels typically go down as well.  Placenta encapsulation can also help you post-partum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)