Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Wyatt update - 24 week preemie twin survivor... he's term now.

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 23 Replies
4 moms liked this

First time I really nursed him.

I had the lactation nurse come help me to see how he was doing so it was documented how he did so they can't say he won't be able ot breastfeed. He latched beautifully, he sucked, he swallowed and did amazing.

Lactation consultant sees no issues why he'll have any issues nursing when they let him nurse for feeds. I pumped before hand, and he still was able to get a let down going and get more milk then he was supposed too. A few minutes after he nursed, I had the nurse pull out the food from his NG tube because he wasn't supposed to get more then 2ml/CC's.... they got a 17cc risidual... with no idea how much he'd already passed through his stomach.... so the doctor refed a couple CC's back and said we'd have to talk about next weekend since he sucks too good and I make too much milk even after pumping.

There's no such thing as "non-milk" sucking... it's just "drown baby" or "don't completely drown baby" LOL

Wyatt is over 7 1/2 lbs now. He's in newborn and 0-3 month clothes now. He's gaining weight *really* fast. He's short and fat for now. Hopefully his length will catch up in time. He's on the wall oxygen and 1 liter of flow and hoovers around 28-35% oxygen. We will see how things go over time with his lungs. There's still a good chance he might need to go home on a little oxygen support for a few months, but he's doing pretty well.

Right now, were going up slow on his feeds, we'll be at 6ml's per 3 hours on monday.... if all goes well, they want to go up again on thursday, because of my boobs over producing milk, even after pumping, he got way more then they wanted him to get... (if they said 2-3ML's was okay, they pulled out a 17ML residual after he had time to digest some of it.) 

I'm not sure how fast we will be going up after monday, but we will see how things go. I'm not sure if they'll let me nurse again like this until he's on larger quantities of food so I don't drown him, but we will see what happens next weekend. he's doing pretty well - he can go home when he can take all food by mouth AFTER they get his volumes up enough to sustain and gain weight on oral foods. 
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Avetay
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Great uodate and beautiful pictures. He is getting so big. Hopefully y'all are home soon
_ethansmommy
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that's amazing!! So glad he is doing well ☺️
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

they are predicting 8-16 more weeks :(

Quoting Avetay: Great uodate and beautiful pictures. He is getting so big. Hopefully y'all are home soon

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That's amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KJ_on
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM
That long?! But isn't he just the chubbiest little man! He isn't going to have a problem going to just boob when they let him :) your in inspiration!
Would you mind If I pmed you? My girl is going to come early and is would love some advice.

Quoting kajira:

Quoting Avetay: Great uodate and beautiful pictures. He is getting so big. Hopefully y'all are home soon

Mrsjohnson2014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
So glad he is doing well and beautiful pictures
Avetay
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I hope its not that long. Ny friends 25 week twins stayed in the nicu for 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Both came home on oxygen but are now active 4 year olds.
I dont believe they had it as rough as Wyatt did though.
I always look foward to your updates
Good luck

Quoting kajira:

bethgoedeken
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my God, he is so damn adorable!

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM

today marks 16 weeks for him.

Quoting Avetay: I hope its not that long. Ny friends 25 week twins stayed in the nicu for 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Both came home on oxygen but are now active 4 year olds. I dont believe they had it as rough as Wyatt did though. I always look foward to your updates Good luck
Quoting kajira:

mama232011
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
OMG fat fat baby reminds me of my nicu baby good milk making mama
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)