Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"It's time to push"

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM
  • 13 Replies
Just curious after reading several posts where the nurses tell the mom it's time to push.

Even with an epidural *i* knew when I had to push. Even if you're fully dilated doesn't mean you have to start pushing, the baby will give you the pressure. How can anyone else tell you how your body is feeling?

I only pushed for 30 minutes both times. But I wonder if someone tells you it's time, does that lead to longer than unnecessary pushing? With added stress and strain?

What was your experience? Did you know when? Or did someone tell you when to start pushing?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs_mom906
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:35 PM
My last baby is a month old today. I pushed, at the nurses orders, for over an hour before he was finally delivered. It wasn't until the the final 15-20 minutes that I felt without a doubt, the urge to push. And it was those strong urges that got me pushing stronger and more efficiently. I could've saved myself and everyone else time and frustration if I had been allowed to just listen to my body.
amy31308
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM
I've always been told to push. The last time I was fully dilated for about an hour before my ob told me to push. He had to use forceps though because he was stuck on my pelvic bone.
army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:52 PM
I was told to push both times. With my 5 year old I pushed for 30 minutes and with my 2 year old I only had to push twice.
MRL84
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Both times I told the nurse/midwife to tell me when to push because I couldn't feel the urge due to the epidural. My first took about 30 mins and my second took like 3 or 4 pushes. And she literally shot out of me lol.
jenbah81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I was told all 4 times even though with the last I did feel pressure. The first I pushed 2 1/2hrs...that hospital was terrible. With the last 3 they were out in just a couple of pushes.
Bump2b
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Have never been told when to push with all three. Though never had an epidural so they would wait for me to tell them when I was pushing.
momtomy7kids
by Michelle on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I knew when to push every time.

Michelle

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I was only told to push with my first. I didn't have the urge to push at all the entire time. I pushed for 2+ hours. The baby was stuck on a lip on my cervix though. I still feel a little annoyed because the midwife told me her head was too big and round for me to deliver her in any way but flat on my back. Research afterwards informed me that there are positions that widen and soften things to help a stuck baby get through. So yes, I definitely think their directions slowed things down. My second I delivered on my own with my dh and it only took 3 pushes. My third I arrived fully dilated and started pushing while they were still getting the doctor. Lol! Only took a few minutes. :-)

Jess21608
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM
I was told to push with my ds cause i got an epidural and within an hour i went to 10 cm. I could feel nnothing. My legs had to be held for me. Took about 45 mins to push.him out. We shall see with my lil girl
ELKmountain.mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM
First I was told to push my epi was so strong I never felt contractions which was insane, I pushed an hour with him but it turned out go on he was born with his hand on his cheek and I would have torn had it not been slow.
2nd I was told to not push for nearly half an hour and breath through till the doc got there, also insane! But only 5 mins once I finally could
3rd was at home and I pushed when I was ready, 2 contractions. He came like a train but it was my body and not coaching
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)