Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Contractions Myth

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
Has anyone found the myth: having your ankles massaged causes contractions, to be true?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ELKmountain.mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Hitting pressure points can cause contractions, there is one in your hand, ankle and some in your feet I believe.
I know the hand is in the V between your thumb and first finger, ankle is just above your bone.
Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, there's an accupressure point there, like the PP said, so it's not a myth.  Not sure it could really bring on active labor, but it can give you contractions.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM

What the two lovely ladies above said! 

SaphiraJFire
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Never heard of it. Its that things that cause extreme pleasure can cause contractions. I have never had my ankles massaged like that lol. 

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Exactly.  My SO actually got into the habit of massaging my feet basically every night from early on in pregnancy with our daughter.  Our midwife said not to do it later on in case he hits one of those points by accident, because you don't want to stimulate anything before the body is ready.

Quoting Heather2001:

Yeah, there's an accupressure point there, like the PP said, so it's not a myth.  Not sure it could really bring on active labor, but it can give you contractions.

mamalogan22
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Thanks. I had a feeling it might have been true. My husband will massage my feet because they get so tense but nothing has ever happened. Is there one of those points in the calf of you're leg?
lmp09
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM

BUMP

StaciF
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Google where the pressure points are - it's above the inside ankle from what I remember but double check
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)