Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lightning Cramps?!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi all,
First of all, I will start off my saying this ridiculous title is indeed an actualt thing that happens usually at the start of the second trimester...I called my OB and the nurse called me back and as I described what I was feeling, she verified the name it was given! My friend told me yesterday that was what it called and I kind of chuckled. So I knew as soon as the nurse said the same thing, I knew it was okay! lol

It's hard to describe...yesterday morning I started to get these shooting sensations from my vaginal area up into my pelvis/lower abdomen. It doesn't last and it comes and goes- it depends what you might be doing- for me, it happened when I stood up out of a lower chair, getting up or down on toilet (lol), when I turn sideways in bed to turn over in my other side...and sometimes just when I stand up from doing whatever it may be...
The nurse said some experience all through your from 2nd on and for some they just come and go-
They are not anything like cramps and no spotting or bleeding accompanies it...it literally takes your breath away and I even caught myself
screaming OUCH! Or kind of doubled over for a second. I was just at the doctor Thursday and all looked great and will be 19 weeks Thursday! The nurse said absolutely nothing to worry about! It's amazing how a quick phone call can take away kne's fears in an instant!

I also seem to have a chest cold starting and I'm coughing a lot which I'm sure doesn't help the muscle strain!

Has anyone of my January Moms-To-Be experienced this? Maybe you have an didn't realize the title for it! lol The nurse said some women even come in and have called it lightning crotch! I prefer the previous term! Sounds more acceptable! lol

Hope to hear from you if you've also experienced these shooting sensations! They are not as bad today! Probably because I had a good night's rest!

Thanks ladies!
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes!  I've had them before!  They always catch me off guard too!

Larsbug
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't had it with this baby but I had it with my second pregnancy

alkakfnxcpoem
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have that but I did have quick stinging/stabbing sensations in my cervix in the last few weeks. I'd describe that as lightning crotch! It felt like Jack was headbutting my cervix to try to open it...but he wasn't very successful as I was at a 0 when I was induced at 38 weeks.

Shelbypb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM
It's called round ligament pain. There are 4 muscles holding your uterus in place. 2 connect to your lower back and two to your hips basically. As you grow they get really stretched and can cause that sharp pain of you move a certain way because they get over stretched. I have them all the time
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
baby development
Kimber11577
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Yep! Same thing! The nurse said that is what some people call it :-) she said they start in 2nd trimester usually!

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem:

I didn't have that but I did have quick stinging/stabbing sensations in my cervix in the last few weeks. I'd describe that as lightning crotch! It felt like Jack was headbutting my cervix to try to open it...but he wasn't very successful as I was at a 0 when I was induced at 38 weeks.

Kimber11577
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Mine eased up a bit today! Man they are brutal aren't they?!

Quoting meam4444:

Yes!  I've had them before!  They always catch me off guard too!

Kimber11577
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Hi ;) I actually started the conversation off asking her if it was round ligament pain and she said this is different? it's not cramping- it's a sudden shooting feeling in your cervix ghat shoots up to pelvic area...people on here
Said they also refer to it as lightning crotch? lol

Quoting Shelbypb: It's called round ligament pain. There are 4 muscles holding your uterus in place. 2 connect to your lower back and two to your hips basically. As you grow they get really stretched and can cause that sharp pain of you move a certain way because they get over stretched. I have them all the time
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Round ligament pain is completely different from lightening crotch.  Different feeling in different area.

Quoting Shelbypb: It's called round ligament pain. There are 4 muscles holding your uterus in place. 2 connect to your lower back and two to your hips basically. As you grow they get really stretched and can cause that sharp pain of you move a certain way because they get over stretched. I have them all the time

Pandapanda
by Amber on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I call it lightening crotch. Lol
SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup, I'm 37 weeks and still get them on occassion 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)